Tascam DA3000: Analog to Digital Recording

Is the Tascam DA3000 an audiophile product for recording analog to digital format? How do you move the file to a PC for editing/song breaks/labeling songs (what kind of software)?
redglobe
Gstanley75, to give you a complicated answer to a simple question, you will need to figure out whether you want a clean preamp or one with "character". Furthermore, do you want just a mic preamp, or a channel strip? You can buy either pre-configured channel strips or roll your on using "500 Series" components. It can get pricey so plan on spending at least $1,500 for two channels.
Very interesting comments. I bought one about 6 months ago and have been using it to archive vinyl LPs. I am impressed with the sound and it is difficult to tell the recorded sound from the original when using DSD 2.8 or 5.6 formats. I am now considering some live recording so was interested in the comments on the KM183s. A recorder and mic of this quality deserves a really nice, quiet, low distortion mic-preamp. Any suggestions for a 2 or 4 channel set-up?
I purchased the Tascam DA3000. It is very easy to record from vinyl. The sound reproduction is indistinguishable from my analog deck. I am very pleased.
Hi,
Any news regarding experiences with the DA3000? Maybe comparisons to the other Tascam solid state recorder such as HS 2, HS 2000, HS 20?
Crna39, could you comment on the quality of playback from SD or CF cards on Tascam(no outboard DAC) in comparison to your other sources.

Thanks,
Serge
Al, I don't want to get close to the performers. By setting up the mikes further back, I can also get some of the room sound as well. I guess one would have to practice with setup to get this just right. Thanks Jeff
Hi Al,

Thank you for doing the research and providing the answer with regard to connecting the Tascam DA3000 directly to the Jasmine phono.
Yes, $1300/pr does seem like an unusually good price for those mics, Jeff. Good suggestion by Onhwy61, also, about renting before finalizing the purchase decisions, especially with respect to the mics.

I'd have some concerns, though, about using omni's to record in a live jazz club. They'll pick up extraneous audience noises much more prominently than say a cardioid. And depending on placement and the physical configuration of the surroundings they may also pick up reflections from walls or other surfaces to an excessive degree.

Best regards,
-- Al
That's an excellent price for new KM183s. If you're relatively new to live recording I'd recommend you rent your equipment before making expensive purchases. Are you going to be recording in only one venue? If so, you can optimize your setup for that space. Are spaced omnis the only way you want to record?
Al, your right the mics. he recommended are Neumann km183 that sell for 1300.00 pair.
10-22-13: Redglobe
I have a separate phono amp (Jasmine LP 2.0). Can I take the signal right from the Jasmine?
I took a look at the specs for the LP 2.0 and the DA-3000. Most likely that will work fine. The one very slight uncertainty is that there is no spec on the output impedance of the LP 2.0. But given the 22K input impedance of the DA3000's unbalanced inputs, the output impedance of the LP 2.0 would have to be very unusually high before there would be any adverse sonic effects, especially considering that it is a solid state design.
10-23-13: Jwm
I am looking to record live Jazz concerts at my local Jazz club. I thought about buying a portable Nagra reel to reel. I talked to my friend who has been recording for a long time. He has a Nagra and also a digital recorder. He recommended a professional recorder. He recommended the Sound Devices 702.
Great unit, judging by a great many comments I have seen from pro audio people, among whom it is widely used. (I have no personal experience with it). Costs around $2K, though, and mics that will do it justice won't be inexpensive either.

Best regards,
-- Al
I am looking to record live Jazz concerts at my local Jazz club. I thought about buying a portable Nagra reel to reel. I talked to my friend who has been recording for a long time. He has a Nagra and also a digital recorder. He recommended a professional recorder. He recommended the Sound Devices 702.
Hi Crna39, Thank you for your response and the comparison to the Korg MR2000S (I had been considering that unit for the past year.)

Do you recommend a particular software for editing the tracks on a PC or Mac?

I have a separate phono amp (Jasmine LP 2.0). Can I take the signal right from the Jasmine? My integrated amp (Jungson JA88D) does not have a monitor-out connection.
I've had mine for a few weeks now. It sounds better than my modified Korg MR2000s.
Yes, it can record all your tape and vinyl and do location recording. The unit records on SD and CF cards. You can also connect a USB hard drive or thumb drive to move your files over to PC.
The unit will do rudimentary editing by chopping up files and you can label songs as well. You can also connect a USB keyboard and input data as well.