Tascam DA3000: Analog to Digital Recording

Is the Tascam DA3000 an audiophile product for recording analog to digital format? How do you move the file to a PC for editing/song breaks/labeling songs (what kind of software)?
redglobe

Showing 2 responses by almarg

10-22-13: Redglobe
I have a separate phono amp (Jasmine LP 2.0). Can I take the signal right from the Jasmine?
I took a look at the specs for the LP 2.0 and the DA-3000. Most likely that will work fine. The one very slight uncertainty is that there is no spec on the output impedance of the LP 2.0. But given the 22K input impedance of the DA3000's unbalanced inputs, the output impedance of the LP 2.0 would have to be very unusually high before there would be any adverse sonic effects, especially considering that it is a solid state design.
10-23-13: Jwm
I am looking to record live Jazz concerts at my local Jazz club. I thought about buying a portable Nagra reel to reel. I talked to my friend who has been recording for a long time. He has a Nagra and also a digital recorder. He recommended a professional recorder. He recommended the Sound Devices 702.
Great unit, judging by a great many comments I have seen from pro audio people, among whom it is widely used. (I have no personal experience with it). Costs around $2K, though, and mics that will do it justice won't be inexpensive either.

Best regards,
-- Al
Yes, $1300/pr does seem like an unusually good price for those mics, Jeff. Good suggestion by Onhwy61, also, about renting before finalizing the purchase decisions, especially with respect to the mics.

I'd have some concerns, though, about using omni's to record in a live jazz club. They'll pick up extraneous audience noises much more prominently than say a cardioid. And depending on placement and the physical configuration of the surroundings they may also pick up reflections from walls or other surfaces to an excessive degree.

Best regards,
-- Al