Tannoy GLENAIR 15 vs DALI HELICON 800 MK2 ?

Hello , I am in the middle of upgrading my speakers.Here in Bulgaria there are distributors for almost every company you may think of ,but the in stock items above $5-6K are very rare ,so one have to buy his components virtually in blind... Now I have the opportunity to get Tannoy Glenair 15 which is in stock in one dealer and Dali Helicon 800 MK2 which I should take in blind ,but I read very good reviews for it,and I like the sound of the smaller models.
My system : Sony xa-5es as transport , custom made tube DAC / pre and Krell FPB300 power amp.I listen many styles of music
the tannoy is $2000 cheaper than the dali
Ill appreciate any advise from people who have the chance to compare this speakers
cheers
128x128hifi76
I haven't heard the Glenairs. But as a rule, Tannoy 15" dual concentrics (DCs) are among the most coherent speakers made. My choice would be Tannoy.

I can only imagine how incoherent the 3.5-way Dalis must sound, since the design is technically inferior to the Tannoy DC.
I haven't heard the Glenair, but the Kensington is a great speaker, and I would love to own it. I would vote gor the Glenair
I have not heard the Tannoys but the Dalis are not incoherent. Many of the best speakers available have 3 or 4 different sized cones, domes or ribbons that are integrated into a pleasing whole.

If the Dali distributor has the 400 mkII it should give you an idea of the Dali sound. If you prefer it to the Tannoy, I would consider buying the Dali. If you prefer the sound of the Tannoy Glenair, I would buy that.

Also, the Dali distributor may be able to direct you to someone who owns the Dali Helicon 800 mkII speakers who would be willing to let you listen to them.
My good friend has the Glen's and the are great but the just get boring to my ears, I would take the Dali and have heard several.of their offerings over the years. If you go with the Glens tilt the speakers upwards as the stage is too low and dont be shocked if you feel the need to add a super tweeter, a quality set will put you close to price of Dali. Both are good but Dali is a speaker with better sound IMO.
Tomcy6: You're absolutely correct. Apologies for being a snob. I'm just so impressed by the 15" Tannoy DC that everything else seems a rung or two lower. But each listener is different.
Which of these two very different speakers will sound/match better to the Krell amplifiers is the question.This compatability is important to ultimate sonic sucess.
Regards,
Jburidan, no apology needed. You were just thinking out loud.

The Krell is a powerful amp, 300 wpc, I believe. The Tannoy's sensitivity is 95 db which means you will need to keep the volume control turned down low. The 6moons reviewer used a 200 wpc Moscode amp and thought it worked well with the Tannoys though.

I could not find the recommended amplifier power for the Tannoy Glenair but for their newer Definition DC8 they recommend 30 to 175 wpc. So I think you will have to be careful using the Tannoy with the Krell so that you don't blow your speakers.

The recommended amplifier power for the Dali is 50 to 400 wpc. So you should be safer with the Krell but I would still check the volume level before turning the amp on.
The power rating of the Krell is less a factor than the sonic signature it has. Which speaker compliments and mates better in terms of sound quality is the true objective.
Regards,
Recommended amplifier power 50 - 225 Watts
Continuous power handling 135 Watts RMS
thats from tannoy site - I brought the krell to the dealer and they matched beautyfully in terms of coherence and control although this particular glenair is imported before 10 days - so no more than 10-15 hrs on it.Maybe they are a bit critical to room positioning ...
Hifi76, Did the Tannoys produce the sound that you enjoy? Sound that you will be able to live with for a long time? If so, that's the right speaker for you.

Have you heard the Dalis at all? To me they are a little on the warm, rich side of the spectrum, which I like. I don't know how they compare to the Tannoys. If you will tell us what speakers you have listened to and what you think about them, we can give you more useful opinions.
My vote for the Tannoy as well. I own Canterbury's. I have not heard the Dali's. A friend owned the Tannoys & Dali Euphonia MS5. He liked some traits on both speakers but overall preferred the Tannoys I believe. The Heritage range & Dual Concentrics are special IMO.