Tannoy Everyone?! with Leben CS600 or Pass XA25/30.5?

Wow. 200 hours and the Stirling are sounding really great!

My Leben cs600 seems to run out of juice though - especially on the digital side. The gain from my phonostage leaves some room, but the 2mV output from my DAC not so much.

I'm thinking Pass Labs w/a tube pre and am curious if an XA25 will drive them? Or an XA30.5 might be better? Any experience would be helpful. Gracias, amigos.

budburma

Tannoy what a voice. I'm less than 100 hr in on a pair of Cheviot's and they keep getting better.

Driving them with a PL Dialogue HP @ 40 wpc triode and haven't gotten close to using it all, I don't have any experience with Pass Labs But I'm not sure that 25 wpc would be enough since that's the power you have now.

From what I've read, the XA25 is both underrated and that class A has enough more current to be plenty of power...I think. The 30's push a little harder even, I think. I'm not sure and hope some with direct experience can speak to that.

I'm surprised with the Leben, too. It's a wonderful piece of gear that I hate to see go and I'm definitely having some seller's remorse. It may be a mismatch with the DAC, but I think the 2V (not mV!) output is pretty standard. I'd have to find a DAC with a higher output or sell the Tannoy and neither seemed too viable....

I've looked at the Audio Mirror Tubadour SE, but the output is the same. Lampizator has some models with a 6V high output switch. 

In the end, starting with the speakers and finding the right amp makes the most sense. Maybe there's a higher output DAC that would make good music with the Leben/Tannoy but in the meantime, I'm hoping a Pass Labs amp with a Supratek pre will make some beautiful music.

From looking around, the 30.5 seems a little rounder than the .8 with the 25 being the warmest of the three. Hopefully, someone's tried one or more of them with some tannoy Stirlings or Turnberrys (Turnberries?) and can weigh in.

Try reaching out to Jeff Day (Jeff’s Place) @ Positive Feedback Online.  He has extensive experience with Leben and Tannoy and might have some good ideas for you.  Good luck.

Consider Accuphase Integrated, especially E-650. I am running Canterbury’s with E-650, the only scenario I’m ditching E-650 once I get my hands on Accuphase E-800.