Tannoy cheviot vs Arden what should I expect from each?

Wondering if anyone has either of these speakers, as Im itching to put down my own Jack (as Kevin Deal says), on a pair of these?
128x128rbtstock

Showing 3 responses by cd318

I’ve got the Berkeley’s, which are said to be the same as the Arden’s but in smaller boxes.

I’ve read a few articles and user reviews that the Arden cabinet is better suited to the HPD385 15 inch dual concentric drivers which both of these classic Tannoys share.

If they are, they should be fabulous.

The Arden’s are also said to go down some 5Hz lower in the bass.

The only things to watch out for are siting (mid-bass boom), and the occasional raucous treble some users have reported.

@ddunne83 

Don't do it.

Just don't.

Tannoys like yours deserve small sacrifices.

Just for an experiment, have a play with the the tightness of the driver bolt tension. See if you prefer 'hand tight' as opposed to what they are currently.

If not, you can easily retighten them as to previous.

@ddunne83

Currently I own Tannoy Berkeley's, my main and best speakers. I also own a pair of the floorstanding Tannoy R3s, and a pair of Rega RS1's which are currently stored in the loft.

I really ought to sell those off, let someone else enjoy them, and yet I can't. They're just too nice to get rid of.

In fact if I had it my way I'd probably own several more eg Eclipse TD12z's, Linkwitz Orion's, Harbeth's/ Spendors, Monopulse's, Kudos Titans, Revel Salon's (I can dream), plus many others no doubt.

So many loudspeakers, so little time...

My advice to anyone starting off, who has the means and especially the time, would be to try as many loudspeakers as possible.

In later life, time seems to speed up, days/ weeks/ months pass in a flash, and there's just never enough of it.

This kind of makes me wonder how folks like Jay Leno must feel once they get to own a showroom's worth of some of the most desirable cars on planet earth.