taming studio 100's

Just got my studio 100's and am using it with audioquest type +6 cables, which are bi-wired. Connected to an Odyssey Stratos amp. The speaker is a bit brighter in my living room than anticipated. Have a large throw rug and bare floors otherwise. Any suggestions for new speaker cables so that I could tame the brightness? Speakers were dealer demos so they should otherwise be broken in. Also, would appreciate any input as far as subwoofer settings for my paradigm pw-2200. Subwoofer is next to left speaker. Living room is 16X25. Speakers are 7ft apart and listening space is about 14-15ft away. Any input would be appreciated.
phizzer

Showing 5 responses by phizzer

yeah cosmicvoid-am already eyeing some jmlabs electra 926's or some odyssey lorelei's. The only thing that brings me back to sanity is looking at my savings account hehe.
Thanks again for all the responses. Turns out that my dealer gave me the wrong bi-wire speaker cable. It was a high crossover for a two-way speaker. That is why I had very shrill treble and no bass. They sound really good right now and am finally happy with my purchase!
Thanks for the posts.
I am currently using AQ Copperhead for amp to preamp. Using Phoenix Gold IC's to a Sony 555es SACD Player. Forgot to mention that I have big picture windows stretching all across the rear of the speakers that start after about 3ft of wall height. Medium curtains behind each speaker and sheer panels in the middle. Speakers are now about 30 inches out from rear windows and about a foot and a half from one sidewall. Other speaker does not have sidewall as it is open-dining room alcove. Speakers are now 8feet apart and the listening distance is now 13ft away.
It is beginning to sound better but still needs some tweaking.
Talked to Klaus from Odyssey. He thinks AQ' are a tad bright too.Thinking about Groneberg cables(odyssey) for this setup as Klaus from odyssey says they are very neutral-even a tad dark. should match well. I do get excellent prices for AQ stuff though.
Last thing, Subwoofer crossover starts at 50hz to 150hz so I have it set at about 75hz.
Quadohphile,
Good insight. I am right at the proverbial edge-you know, the point where I do not now if I am enjoying the music or listening to the system way too critically.
By the way, how do you like the REL sub? That is my next choice for a sub. I currently have the paradigm pw-2200. Damn ugrade-itis.
Quadophile,
I too have heard many praises for the rel saying that it is one of the better subs for music. I also agree that I could not listen to 2-channel music without a sub.
I am now waiting to get my tempest preamp by early feb. See if it smoothes out my system as it is sounding a bit cold and digital on classic rock and 80's music.If that does not work, I will try upgrading to a tube player like a used cary for a warmer presentation.