taming studio 100's

Just got my studio 100's and am using it with audioquest type +6 cables, which are bi-wired. Connected to an Odyssey Stratos amp. The speaker is a bit brighter in my living room than anticipated. Have a large throw rug and bare floors otherwise. Any suggestions for new speaker cables so that I could tame the brightness? Speakers were dealer demos so they should otherwise be broken in. Also, would appreciate any input as far as subwoofer settings for my paradigm pw-2200. Subwoofer is next to left speaker. Living room is 16X25. Speakers are 7ft apart and listening space is about 14-15ft away. Any input would be appreciated.
phizzer

Showing 3 responses by cosmic_void

You realize of course my friend that this is only the beginning of the obsession. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
I have the 100's and no brightness. It could still be that they need more break in despite being demo units. The sound of the speakers responded well to aftermarket power cords on the electronics. My PW-2200 is in the corner behind the left speaker which helped with some boominess I was getting. I think that the sub was taking pressure waves from the left speaker and acting as a passive radiator and causing some boominess. I am running Virtual Dynamics Audition series cables through my system from CDP to amp with a biwire run of speaker cable which I know has somewhat filtered the highs. I have my speakers 5 to 5 feet out from the rear wall and about 3 feet from the side walls which also may help the brightness as you will change the reflection angles. Try sitting closer to the speaker too. I find that with the width you have that 8 to 10 feet is best. Keep trying and once you find the workaround I think you'll be very happy with these speakers. I've also tried Harmonic Technology Pro 11 speaker cables which worked well with these speakers though if I was going that route I think I'd go with the AZ Satori's in shotgun. Your CDP might also be influencing the brightness too. Good luck.
I have my sub set somewhere between 50 and 60Hz. The level is actually quite low as I don't care to be evicted at this time. I wouldn't set the sub any higher.

Lneilb,
Have you tried this with the 100's? I'd be interested to hear more about modding the crossovers.