Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
N80,

Maybe maturity has its advantages.  My guess is happiness is not determined by how little crap we’ve been through but on how we handle it.  Wish I was inspired to take up my old musical instruments but I don’t have space for a sousaphone any more.   The arthritis kicks in sometimes so no guitar. Guess I will explore myself and remember your philosophy of a good marriage:  if your wife doesn’t 5hrow anything, it’s OK...😁
A practice pad and a metronome is essential. Learn how to read music. Start with the syncopation for the modern drummer book which is a beginner book. You also need to learn basic exercises and rudiments. After that just practice as much as you can. It takes time and patience. Once you can read music you are open to a world of learning material. Good luck and have fun.
YouTube has changed the game for learning musical instruments. Go for it. You don't need a teacher. They exist all over YouTube. And the basic stuff and even most of the advanced stuff is free. The rest is on lessons you can buy.
I have played drums since a teenager. It can be the most relaxing therapuetical thing you can do. Relieve frustration. Give a sense of musical accomplishment. It just feels good to hear that tribal rythym of the toms, bass and snare. Buy a set by all means. Set them up facing your stereo. About 6 foot back from the speakers. Headphones don't cut it. Listen to your favorite bands drummer. Try to follow the beat. Keeping time is most important. I invented nothing. Everything I can play on the drums, I stole from another drummer. Best way to learn. If you want, take some lessons. By all means, it sounds like you will love being a drummer. Do it!
My big brother was a drummer.  No natural talent, but he took lessons from the guy who invented some of the rudiments, and he practiced every waking moment of his life.  At 10 or 11, I forget which, he performed with a quartet of boys the same age--one was 12, I believe--I have the 78 RPM recording of the show.  They played "marching drums" while standing in a straight line and tossed their sticks to each other during the show and never missed a beat.  This was at Meyer's Lake in our home town, Canton, Ohio. 

My dad took him to NY and he took some lessons from Krupa and Cole.  Cole told him he was better than Cole was as this age (14 or 15).

Because he was also smart, he went to college at 16 to become a theorhetical nuclear physicist (say THAT 3 times fast) and Cole told him music was a terrible career and to go to college (1957).

In his first year of college (age 16) was carried to the 50 yard line with his drum kit during the homecoming football game (1958, I think) and played a 3-5 minute drum solo for the Queen who was visiting his college--William & Mary.  We have the pictures somewhere.

Point is, the same as the old Carnegie Hall joke--practice, practice, practice.  Today's drummers are NOT percussionists; they can't read music (heaven forbid!) and they play ham-fisted.  Rock drumming is not totally percussion-based.

If all you want is to play along with pop and rock songs, have at it.  If you want to be a DRUMMER, start here:

http://www.drumrudimentsystem.com/drum-rudiment-guide/drum-rudiments-guide.pdf

Otherwise, you are just amusing yourself banging about.  Nothing wrong with that--I do it to on my vintage 1968 Ludwig set--but I PRACTICE the rudiments, as poorly as I play them, all the time and am getting slightly better at "copying" pop records. Try a drum-to-drum roll across three drums and see how it goes.  A lot harder than it looks, and I have been practicing it for 40 years.  Try the backbeat on "beach music" and see if you can do that one--very hard!

If you want to play serious music, jazz, orchestral, etc., you need to take lessons, but master the above rudiments and you will be well on the way to being a real dummer, IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT.

If not, bang away and enjoy!

(By the way, drumming is all in the wrist, in case you were wondering.)

Cheers!