TAD Reference loudspeakers-How good are they?

Just wondering if the TAD Ref 1 and/or TAD Compact Ref 1 are as good as some of the show reviews suggest, although a recent review did mention a slightly "dark" presentation, albeit state of the art sound.

Does anyone know if the implementation of concentric tweeter/mid is superior to that of KEF/Thiel, or perhaps the Berylium constructed drivers and/or crossover sophistication.

I'm thinking about the TAD Compact Ref One as my "final" loudspeaker, as I have a small listening room at 14 x 16; Quite expensive at MSRP of $37K. I would appreciate any and all opinions and experience with the TAD Reference loudspeakers.

Thanks so much!
opinions
audiobrian

Showing 1 response by lance0955

I have not had the pleasure to listen to the TAD REFERENCE monitor. They are "drop dead" gorgeous from the pictures. I have, however had time to listen to the MAGICO and KEF designs. Also, very fine speakers but perhaps not quite the cosmetic appeal of the TAD. But let's get down to audible reality. $37,000 for any loudspeaker places it into the realm of the rich and idiotic. Yes I have heard the Wilsons and many other extremely expensive speakers. From that perspective, you might want to take a look at VIVID. Their top end speaker is very special. Capable of playing at any volume that pleases you with absolute clarity while maintaining a sense of "0" audible strain. They only get better based upon the quality of the source electronics and recorded media.
Now here's my spin. If you are in Chicago, I suggest you look up VanL Speakerworks. John is a designer of custom loudspeakers that utilize a patented principal of imaging enhancement without the use of electronic "trickery" and at an unbelievably low price. Approximately 1/10 of the cost of TAD's. I have (2) pair, one of which I was somewhat instrumental in the design. The one I speake of uses HIQUPHON custom made tweeters out of DENMARK. Perhaps they can't do everything the VIVID's can (for instance) but my lifelong quest for sonic excellence (I once owned 8 AXIOM 80'S and let them slip through my fingers), has been pretty much put to rest, even if I had the cash to spend obliviously, into the "Megabuck" range. I have had several people listen to my current systems who attended the VIVID demo here in Chicago. My system totals up to about $13K, in comparison to the system we listened to, associated with the VIVID demo. It totaled about $250K (TRANSROTOR TURNTABLES, ETC). Virtually all agree that the systems I have with the Van L's at the heart, sound ouverall as pleasing a listening experience, for "mountains" less money.

Believe it or not!! That's all I have to add.