TAD-803 2 way speaker review

This is a review of the TAD803 2 way speaker currently on sale. I am not associated with Bizzy Bee Audio, but have actively watched the website due to recommendations in other forums.
I had a need for additional speakers to compliment my existing speakers - I have two systems - 1 is vintage McIntosh tube - the other is an Solid State 2ch/multichannel system for 2 ch. Audio and Home Theater. Laziness prompted me to want a second set of speakers to avoid swapping speaker cables. I also thought it would be fun to add an alternate speaker brand. I decided to try the Bizzy Bee Audio discontinued 2 way speakers currently on a blow out sale of $129.00 first and then buy the current single driver model if I found the original 2 way design appealing. This review is for those wondering about the 2 way sonics.
Upon receipt of the speakers, I unpacked them to set up for testing and while doing so, thought these probably will just sound okay, but not anywhere near "audiophile" grade. Worst case - I give them to my son for college. I used the C22/MC240 McIntosh tube set up along with my Phillips 963a SACD player. I chose a set of CD's that have recently been in rotation for my nightly listening. First choice - DeeDee Bridgewater - J'ai Deux Amours. I set the levels at 82-84db using my dB Meter. Sat down - pressed play - and my jaw hit the floor.....and stayed there the entire night! The fidelity of these speakers has to be heard to be believed! And this was out of the box - no break in time! I spent the next 4 nights running a variety of music through them. 30 plus hours DOES make a BIG difference for these 803s. Experimenting with setup and toe in has yielded a HUGE sound stage. Detail is amazing and the range,while limited at either extreme, is quite impressive for such a relatively small speaker! Imaging is very precise with instruments and voices placed in a 3 dimensional soundstage. Inner detail is amazing, especially after I had 30+ hours of break in time. When pushed hard, I have noticed a slight edginess to the upper midrange - lower treble - but this is at loudness levels I seldom used (90+ db). At the close out price, these are simply the most amazing speaker I have heard - even at 500.00 these would still be an awesome deal! I still find myself thinking that something this cheap should NOT sound this good! Get some before they are gone!! 3 sets have now been purchased by friends after hearing them at my house. Thanks Paul for offering such a great speaker! I am already planning on buying the current version which, from the description, must truely be a giant killer!
mkinsman

Showing 1 response by jdcrox

Bartokfan, so when you heard these speakers, what in particular did you not like about them?
John