TACT Power Supply Upgrade From Aberdeen Components

Received my Tact Power Supply upgrade from Anthony at Aberdeen Compnents last week and finally got around to installing it on Saturday, aided by my local Tact dealer. I can only say that everything that has been written about the stock Tact PS on the TACT Users Group is right on the mark. The Tact is a wolf in sheeps's clothes as a preamp, and putting in a properly designed power supply definitely transforms it. I know there are many DIY solutions out there, but for those who, like me, want a hassle free, drop in upgrade the Aberdeen mod is the ticket. I was mightily impressed about the parts quality (Black Gates and all the other audiophile goodies), and even more about the sound after we plugged it in. The improvements in soundstaging, separation, coherence, subwoofer to main speaker integration, and resolution were significant. Beyond this, what really impressed me was the newly found "robustness" to the sound, as if the mids and low mids I didnt know were missing before had suddenly materialized. The Tact was a decent preamp before, and a great room correction device. After this upgrade, it is has become a GREAT pre, and most definitely a keeper for the foreseeable future. Kudos to Anthony for a great design....
128x128alexc

Showing 1 response by kana813

"Which version of RCS is this for? 2.0, 2.0s. 2.2x?"

Jazzdude-

It works in all the RCS units and the TCS. The PS improves
D/D, D/A and A/D performance.

"How much for the upgrade? Parts plus installation cost?"

Mark-

Per the ad:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1120967134
it's $600. If you know to use an allen wrench and a philips screw you can install it yourself in 5 minutes.
Mo soldering is required.

I'm using one in my 2.2X and Alex's description of the performance/improvements are right on the money.

Aloha,

Dan