system built around creek integrated amp

I'm looking into specifics about building around a Creek integrated amp. I already have a fairly nice main system and am interested in starting a 2nd system with the Creek integrated. Have heard it with a relatively cheap CD player,Ruark epilogues, and lord knows what kind of speaker wire. I should have asked. The sound was impressive for such an inexpensive system.

I'm looking to go cheap but still want good sound for a small room. The system is to be a no fuss CD-based system with a possible tuner.

What about the Sound Dynamics RTS-3 or the b&w 303's? Haven't heard the former, have heard the latter. Was impressed by its impressive soundstage and bass response. Like classical, jazz, and good Rock music like the Dead, Neil Young etc. I know the term "good Rock" is debatable and some would consider an oxymoron. But rock does demand a reasonable facsimile of an in-concert bass sound.

CD player? Don't know where to start at all as I haven't even purchased anything of a digital nature. Sony ES series??? Cambridge Audio?

Have heard that the Linn K-20 wire mates well with the Creek integrated amp. Where do you get this for a reasonable price?

Lastly, looking for a tuner that can pull in distant stations and contend with hills in rural southeast Mo.
Prefer tube sound here but am flexible.

Am not at all adverse to buying used stuff. Have posted this thread before but thought I'd try a different section to get some more advice, input etc. Thanks in advance for any help!
stlouisdan

Showing 1 response by bday0000

I am currently using a creek 4240SE, AudioQuest BiWire and interconnects, Marantz CD63 mkII with an AMC DAC-8, and Alon Petite speakers. And, I bought the speakers used for about $600 US. It's my bedroom system and it sounds quite nicely.

I don't use a tuner, however.

Please note: I was not "thrilled" with the sound at first. But then I damaged the creek and had to have it repaired. The repair person (authorized by creek, or Music Hall) found that the bias(?) was set incorrectly at the factory. He corrected it and now it sounds much better. I don't know if this was a widespread problem. My guess it was just my luck!!!!