System advice and upgrade path?

Hello, I’m in upgrade mode and would like your input.

My system currently consists of Cary CAD-50MKII Sig. monoblocks, Cary SLP 50 preamp (with oil caps), Reference 3a MM de Capo-i monitors and Rega Planet (2000 model) and Rega P-3 table. Kimber Kable throughout.

It’s a very good sounding system, but recently I started to long for a bit of the bass control and air that I had with a McCormack DNA1 and Merlin TSM-SE’s I used to own.

I want to keep the de Capo’s, but I am thinking of a new amp set up. As you can see I’ve swung between the SS and TUBE camps, and of course I am looking for the “best of both worlds”. I’m thinking along the lines of either SimAudio W-5 or BAT VK-55 (tho I have not auditioned either) or something similar (Rouge, Edge etc.?).

Would the Cary SLP 50 mate with either of these amps? I might also forgo the SLP 50 because good NOS input tubes are getting so expensive.

I have also considered getting a REL sub for the existing system in hope of some bass control/ reinforcement that way.

I tend to listen to acoustic music (roots/bluegrass/folk) female vocalist, some melodic jazz and some classic rock/reggae.

So many options, which way to go?
p.s. my budget contribution to the upgrade would be aprox. $1,500-2,500.

Comments/Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
corina

Showing 1 response by jp1208

Corina, call David Schulte, owner of the Upgrade Company
at 1-269-665-7433. He upgraded my Marantz SA12S1 and saved me about $5000.00. I would not be able to find the same performance from a off the shelf unit at twice that amount.
I would put this unit up against anything out of the box.
My Arcam AV-8 will be the next component for him to upgrade
and then the Proceed HPA amp. He can do it all! I was sceptical at first but that passed quickly.