Swapping the MMF 5 for an SL-1210M5G

Hey everyone:

What are your thoughts on this move?? My original record player was a Yamaha YP-D6 from the late 70s and though it was a little jittery and such, there was something about the bass control on a direct drive that I miss now when compared to the MMF 5. I have to admit though, when I swapped out the TTs (while keeping the same phono cartridge) there was a noticable improvement on it's smootheness and the music rounded out very nicely.
neway317
Tvad,
Okay got you, Well I hope its 12 grams without counting the technics extra headshell weight, because if not then I guess it would be 16 grams..

It works perfect just as is.. But I do have the headshell weight I took it off immediatley and seemed to work dead on when using a digital stylus gauge, and got excellent results off the bat, and did not want to mess with it unless there was some magic reason to do so... Thanks
Post removed 
06-20-08: Tvad
... The largest benefit with the Sumiko or ZuPreme headshells is their azimuth adjustment...IMO. The Technics headshell does not allow for azimuth adjustment.
The azimuth adjustment is certainly nice. The SL12x0 tonearm itself can be corrected for azimuth as well, though I don't know how. Kevin at KAB does, however, and it's one of his QA routines he performs on each Technics DD before he sends it out.

The Sumiko/Zupreme headshells offer a couple of other advantages as well. First is if you need the extra weight for cartridge matching, such as the Denon DL-110/160 and Audio Technica AT150MLX.

Also, I don't have the sophisticated gear to measure it, but I *suspect* that the Sumiko HS is less "ringy" and more rigid. I certainly get a more linear, less "woofy" sound with excellent upper bass clarity with my Sumiko and ZuPreme (I have one of each) headshells than I got with the Technics. To be fair, however, I had a Shure M97xE on the Technics and that could have been part or all of the problem.

It also has better headshell leads. The same leads included on the Sumiko cost $16-20 just to upgrade the Technics wiring to what's standard on the Sumiko.

Finally, the Sumiko/Zupreme HS's have two alignment pins on the bayonet mount instead of one, so you probably get more rigidity at the headshell/tonearm joint.
Hey i finally got a cartridge that is a good match thanks to tvad....man its SWEET....sounds real nice on the first spin even though cartridge say 20 hours break-in. I have no isolation other than the tt's own feet and the wood top of audio shelf componet rack its sitting on.

Only thing is that there is slight hum once can hear when no music is playing...the groun wire is connected...hum in speaker is there....no hum when playing cds!

Any hum advice since this can't be normal!

Michael
I am also noticing for very quiet ballads and in between tracks some noise not hum kind of like a muffled sound and on occasion but not often some pops. Is it a fair guess that this means the vinyl needs to be cleaned?

I also noticed that when I switched my preamp from phono to cd, you could hear noise at the turntable itself where the needle is. Is that normal?

Michael
Post removed 
***No. This is not normal. I've never heard what you describe on any turntables I've owned.***

I think he's referring to hearing music come off the needle. Perfectly normal.
Post removed 
I have attached the ground wire......

I am hearing more than music if i walk up to the tt when there is no volume on.....i am hearing some music from the needle on the record but also hear noise perhaps from a dirty platter or perhaps the tonearm height should be raised?

tvad, did you need to alter the tonearm height with the benz micro on the technics?
Post removed 
Tvad,

The noise is only when the needle is on the lp.....if you lift the needle and the lp just spins there is no noise!
Tvad,

If i am not mistaken the stylus pressure as well as the antiskate is to be set at 2 for the benz micro ace right?

Michael
Post removed 
So quick update to everyone that partook in this thread. I finally swapped in my Technics SL1210M5G into the system over the MMF5.

I put them back to back and listened to them for two days.

Then I packed the MMF5 away and set up the Technics permanently.

What a lazy table! The Technics SL1210M5G has amazing control and is great at keeping time. Absolutely wonderful player. I installed the Dynavector DV-10X4 on it and better, tighter control on the bass as well as maintaining although I've noticed that the mids and highs are a little bit brighter than before. This might be a cartridge issue? I was also looking into getting the AT 440mla for this.. any opinions on this?

I'm slowly looking into mods right now from KABUSA and seeing what they recommend. I've heard the damping fluid does the most in terms of bang for buck. Any feedback on this part here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help, everyone! You've really been able to help me make a great decision!