Swapping 5AR4 rectifier for 274B in a PrimaLuna Preamp

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I have recently acquired a PrimaLuna Dialogue Three preamp.  (not the new 'premium' preamp, the original Dialogue Three)  It's a fantastic unit and sounds incredible.  I've achieved some very nice results tube rolling some of the other components I own(ed).  I am contemplating switching the OEM 5AR4 rectifiers with a pair of mesh plate 274B's from Sophia Electric.  
http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/274b.htm   
While allegedly pin compatible, I understand the life of the rectifier might run short.  To quote Sophia Electric's site:
"The 274B is direct heating tube. The indirect heating 5AR4 may turn on slower, however, people who buy 274B is for its superior sonic performance. To fully utilize its benefits, it may require first stage capacitor (capacitor input) to be less than 10MFD, or would shorten the 274B life span (very much like smoking is bad for your health). It would not be a problem with common choke input. Please consult to your amplifier maker or refer to a tube manual.
The maximum current capability for Sophia Electric 274B mesh plate tube is 90ma, suitable for tube pre-amp. "   

I was hooked on the SE 274B when I saw that Woo Audio was offering the 274B as an upgrade to their WA6 headphone amplifier.   Further research turned up a couple of great reviews for the tube in other amplifier and preamp applications.

PrimaLuna / Upscale Audio have given great recommendations for the Phillips 5R4GYS in my preamp.  In all probability I'll find myself buying & trying both and selling whatever comes in 2nd place.  

I'm pretty new to the tube game, but learning fast. 
I would welcome the opinions of those with more experience and finely tuned ears.  

128x128t-bon3

Showing 1 response by analogluvr

Sophia tubes have reliability problems and I would stay away if I were you. I've blown about 4 tubes in my life and they were all sophia.