SW-800 Subs & CLS's

After much searching I have a line on a mint pair of Kinergetics SW-800 Reference sub-woofers (twin towers with 5 ten inch long throw drivers on each side). These were specifically designed for my Martin Logan CLS's -- a mini Statement in its day. These are the second generation with a single crossover device (the originals had dual 300 watt monoblocks/crossovers). Does anyone out there have any experience with these? Concerns... the speakers are virtually un-used, but they were designed with SEAS paper woofers (less mass to move quickly with the CLS's). Do these deteriorate even though un-used and in the original packaging (we're talking 5 or 6 years old)? Also, the reviews stated that these subs will ruthlessly reveal the quality of the amps driving them (unusual for subs). Unfortunately, the only spare amp I have these days is an old Adcom GFA555. Any recommendations? Should I stick with the obvious choice of solid state? If so, what? I'm using tubes for the CLS's with great results. Lastly, the subs have a nominal impedance of 1.6 ohms -- great match for the CLS ;-). Thanks in advance.
jim

Showing 1 response by tom_bradford

I have used the Audio Research Classic 60 tube amp for the CLS II's with great success... with Straight Wire . Large Nakamaichi AmP dedicated to the Subs, perhaps a bit overkill. Am thinking of selling the whole setup, as the wife continously gives me flack about my investing in stereo equipment rather than .... her verbal yaking ruins the beautiful music this system creates... Tom Bradford