Sutherland PHD

Has anyone heard this phono stage at home or auditioned at a dealer. If so, could you detect any drawbacks/compromise due to battery power. Specifically, any softness to transients/dynamics/bass impact.
Thanks
reb1208

Showing 1 response by br3098

I owned a PH3D and have used a PH3 in my system. I enjoyed both of them, and I still regret selling the 3D. It was an excellent phono stage for the price.

I have limited, experience with the Steelhead but found it to be a extremely well built unit. The sound reproduction was great - more lush and "wet" than w/ the Sutherland units, as would be expected from a tube amp. But with my tube rig, I prefer the neutrality of the SS phono stage and the dead black background is a major consideration. While the CHinook was not noisy, it was more noisy than the PH3 when used w/ very LO cartridges.

I think that the selection of either of these (or any) phono stage depends on the rest of your system. If I had to pick one for all around use, it would probably be the PH3 with the 3D as a close second (first for value)