Surge protector

Hello all. Just need some advice on a surge protector for my amp and preamp. A few months ago we had a thunder and lightning storm. It blew out my ac condenser in my central ac conditioner. Now am worried about that happening to my ARC Ref 6 preamp and my Krell FPB 600 amp. Right now they are on a dedicated 20 amp line that both my amp and pre are using. I listen to my system practically everyday and leave my amp on stand by all the time. My amp and pre amp. I really do not want a surge protector with a power conditioner as I have read that the Krell FPB 600 sounds best the life expectancy lasts longer if plugged directly into electric receptacle. Would I loose any Sonics from a surge protector? Should I just unplug the amp and preamp when I see a storm brewing? But then what if I am not home to unplug? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to all. Cheers. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
Boy, I'd be nervous leaving that prime gear unprotected. I have a whole house surge supressor installed at the electric service entrance box. I also plug my gear into a PS Audio Dectet. Here in Northern Arizona we have some monster lightning storms when monsoon season starts and that's soon. If a bolt hits the house or in close proximity, nothing can withstand that force. This is why we buy Homeowner's Insurance.
+1 on a whole house surge protector.
You can buy one for about $60 at Home Depot, but need an electrician to install it.
Most are sacrificial, so you'd have to replace it if it got zapped, but at least everything downstream would be protected-especially if you have your equipment on local surge protectors.
Tuberist is right, if you get a direct hit, all bets are off.
I put a whole house surge protector on my main box and haven't noticed any degradation of sound quality, actually, it seems better.
YMMV
B
@ Tuberist , gdnrbob. Thanks for that information about a whole house surge protector. I never even thought of that. I will be definitely looking into that. 👍
Whole house protection is necessary, since almost everything these days contains electronics (even light bulbs).  I replaced myself, in my Siemens style panel, double circuit breaker with whole house surge protected circuit breaker  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-20-Amp-6-5-in-Whole-House-Surge-Protected-Circuit-Breaker-QSA2020SPDP/202562776
Perhaps I should add larger dedicated whole house surge protector, but I would leave it to electrician.

In addition my system is plugged into Furman Elite 20PFi conditioner with strong non-sacrificial surge protection.
@kijanki Thanks for your advice. I’m going to look into that surge protector circuit breaker. One thing I don’t understand on your reply was you said you Replaced double circuit breaker with whole house surge protector circuit. Then you said perhaps I should add larger dedicated whole house dedicated circuit breaker. I don’t understand what u meant by that last statement. I thought u first said you installed one. 🤷‍♂️