Supratek Owners Thread

Greetings All - 
It appears that the 26-million-plus view, multi-decade "Preamp Deal of the Century" Supratek thread has been removed. I'm not sure why, but suppose there must be a reasonable explanation.
In any case, on that thread I recently asked whether there might be interest in a "Supratek owners thread" and received some interest. 
The purpose of this thread is for Supratek owners to share the details of their system, ask questions, share information about any tube-rolling they have done, and so forth.
I'll kick us off here with a few details about my system -
ancient Linn LP12 with Ittok arm, Dynavector 17D3 cartridge into Cortese LCR phono stage
Power amp is a fully serviced Innersound Electrostatic amplifier
Quad ESL63 speakers (not USA monitors) or JBL 4430 studio monitors
Digital sources are immature and evolving - ancient Fostex CR300 cd player/burner
DacMagic 100 DAC
Nordost Blue Heaven 75ohm interconnect
Due to the fairly long lengths of speaker wire required in the new listening room, speaker wire is Belden 12 gauge wire designed for low-voltage outdoor lighting systems. 
Next steps - dedicated circuit, new power cords, new interconnects, new wires.
128x128markusthenaimnut

Agreed.

I asked for an upgraded power supply....which I believe is the main difference between the Chardonnay and Cabernet.....

Another way of saying "please change my order to Cabernet"

LOL!

Nah,.. you dont understand the PS, and how its built.  There is very little difference if any between the  chardonnay / cab PS.   The main PS feeds the tube regs which make it what it is and do the major cleaning/stabilization of the V feeding the circuit.  The main difference people see in the 2 models is between the regs either being on the pre or located on the PS.  It is purely cosmetic and he actually makes the cab a lot of times with the regs on the pre chassis.   The PS circuit for both is the same.  Adding in a boutique cap in the PS before the the regs is honestly a waste of money as well.  My opinion on (and his) on using fancy parts in areas that they wont make a difference.  I’ve been lucky to hear a ton of his amps in just as many configs including ‘tricked out’ PS’s etc,..  it aint worth it and the reliability drops. 

Btw,..  the difference between the 2 is pre circuit.  Chard. hey s a traditional resistor loaded circuit, 2stage, direct coupled.   Cab uses some CCS load,  direct coupled as well.  Both are parafeed output as all Suprateks are.   

@aldnorab 

I only had a chance to listen to the Cabernet for about 10 days in the SC system before I had to leave town so no where near broken in at less than 75 hours.  But based on that brief listen to it in the same system the Sachs was in and almost three years of the Chardonnay if nothing else changed the Cabernet would be closer in "sonic signature".  That as you know can be varied a bit with tubes but not but so much.  I could easily live with either one but my curiosity got the best of me. 

@jackd this gives me a good idea how the D. Sachs compares with the Supratek models. Your comparison Helps a lot. Buying a second Supratek also speaks highly of their sound quality.

@jslateiv  appreciate your explanation of the circuitry differences between the Chardonnay and Cabernet. I agree that hand built items are works of art and can be passed down thru the ages. 

I didn't realize the chrome and copper were different cosmetic choices. Thought it was chrome plated copper, possibly used as chassis shielding. I'm fine with black powder coat. 

Thanks everyone,

aldnorab