Supratek Owners Thread

Greetings All - 
It appears that the 26-million-plus view, multi-decade "Preamp Deal of the Century" Supratek thread has been removed. I'm not sure why, but suppose there must be a reasonable explanation.
In any case, on that thread I recently asked whether there might be interest in a "Supratek owners thread" and received some interest. 
The purpose of this thread is for Supratek owners to share the details of their system, ask questions, share information about any tube-rolling they have done, and so forth.
I'll kick us off here with a few details about my system -
ancient Linn LP12 with Ittok arm, Dynavector 17D3 cartridge into Cortese LCR phono stage
Power amp is a fully serviced Innersound Electrostatic amplifier
Quad ESL63 speakers (not USA monitors) or JBL 4430 studio monitors
Digital sources are immature and evolving - ancient Fostex CR300 cd player/burner
DacMagic 100 DAC
Nordost Blue Heaven 75ohm interconnect
Due to the fairly long lengths of speaker wire required in the new listening room, speaker wire is Belden 12 gauge wire designed for low-voltage outdoor lighting systems. 
Next steps - dedicated circuit, new power cords, new interconnects, new wires.
128x128markusthenaimnut

What are the sonic differences between a Chardonnay and Cabernet? Does the copper/chrome have any sonic advantage over the powder coat finish? Still thinking about getting one of these for a birthday present.

Thanks,

aldnorab

When I asked Mick that question, he replied a little bit more of everything 😜

The chrome looks very nice especially in the evening when other lights in the room reflects of the 2 big domes, but I think there will be many that think it is too much bling, I did not get the domes until later and it took a while for me to get used to the new look! But they have grown on me, so now I kind of like the look.

If there is a sonic difference? I really can’t say, probably a question better suited for Mick to answer.

@aldnorab 

I've owned a Chardonnay for going on three years, the latest Sachs for almost two years and a Cabernet 8SN7 for just a couple of months.  The Cabernet and Chardonnay at this time are in different house in different systems in different states so haven't had a chance to do a side by side comparison yet.  Going off of my experience with the Chardonnay versus the small time I've spent with the Cabernet my take on the differences between the two are that the Chardonnay is a smoother more comfortable classic tube sound while the Cabernet is a more lively sound more to the neutral side. I guess some people would say that equals more dynamic but it's just different.  They are different circuit designs and as the Cabernet gets more hours on it some of it's characteristics may change slightly but don't think it will ever be as "warm" sounding as the Chardonnay.  It will come down to what you are looking for and how you think it will fit with your current or future equipment.  One clear advantage I have found though with both Supratek's over the Sachs is with the tubes.  Tubes that are unacceptable to me in the Sachs in terms of noise play fine in the Supratek units.  Also the options of either balanced or SE outputs and adjustable gain are an important factor to me as I tend to swap amps around. 

Jack summed it up nicely.  Smooth/classic vs. more dynamic/lively.   Its subtle but instantly noticeable and interestingly both still very much retain that ‘Supratek’ house sound.  Mostly likely due to the regulators.  A feature very few other builders incorporate.  Couple that with the ease of repairs due to P-P wiring and you have sonic pieces of art that can literally be handed down for decades to come and will sound as good if not better 50 years from now with only some very minor maintenance.