Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable

HI All

I recently purchased a Supra Cat 8 ethernet cable to replace the stock cable to my bluesound node 2i after hearing rave reviews of the Supras.  However, the Supra sounded rather bright and clinical in my system. Plus side it has a lot of details,  sounds very clear and bass prodution was pretty good but just sounded very forward and bright over my stock ethernet cable.   Am using Klipsch 6000 f speakers,  an XTZ power amp and a Freya + preamp.

I have not run in the Supra fully yet, about 7 hours. Will it get better over time? Has anyone who has used Supra to your node 2i felt the same. Or do you have a different opinion? Appreciate your views. 

ram18

I would probably blame the speaker more than the cable but that's just me 🤔

Youhave to remember you are only using roughly 5 volts .

you can have your amplifier off ,just put your digital playing on repeat, or if streaming just put a bunch of music on and let play burnin willbe much quicker  this way .

Ethernet cabling has an effect on the performance of your system. Leakage currents and the radiation of the cable are the problems. When the shield is connected at both sides (in theory a good thing, when the shield is tied to the chassis and not the signal ground) like CAT 8 there is a possibility that leakage currents will start to flow between your components. The cure would be CAT 5/6,  some kind of galvanic isolation (medical network isolator/transformer), or using a floating shield. Floating shields have less shielding effectiveness, but have the advantage of not transporting current between components. The radiation can be controlled by putting ferrite clamps on the both endpoints of the cable. Or putting extra layers of (floating) shield around the cable covered in layers of heatshrink/teflon tape between them. (dual/triple/quad shielding). Quick and dirty fix.

@ram18 don’t get sucked into the cables game at this level.
Upgrade speakers and components instead for better ROI….just my opinion. 

There is a general theme being oft-repeated on the other audio forums I subscribe to. ( NOTE: I am not a network engineer professional, just another simple audio Joe…”.)

These are examples quoted directly from CAM that summarizes the two general important points.

IN BRIEF:

(1) “ … A little tip, don’t ask for networking advice on a HiFi forum unless you want to be sold on the idea of overpriced and unnecessary equipment with no benefit. Any network engineer will tell you that a packet is a packet and if the received packet isn’t the same as the one sent it will be dropped. Gold plated audiophile grade marketing won’t change that…”

(2) “ … There are new online reviews coming up that are hands-on bakeoffs that weed the grain from the chaff….what matters is one thing: SHIELDING.

IN DETAIL

There are four caveats to consider for audio (note: there was little comment on video signal)

- The cable build with better upgraded shielding DID make an audio difference if you have the system with the resolution capabilities to discern the differences
- The cable connectors being kicked up to the $$$$ fancy ones did not make any difference
- Cable transmission loads - see below - category ratings
- If you are going to run them behind the walls, there is always the spectre of meeting fire code and choosing cables that meet code or run the risk of voiding your house insurance

The easiest way to tell Ethernet cables apart is to look at their category rating. The standards in use today start at category five (known colloquially as Cat 5), which was designed way back in 1999. Cables in this category can handle 100Mbits/sec connections, but they won’t support the full speed of a Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) network. For that, you need Cat 5e, an enhanced version of Cat 5 that has better resistance to interference and crosstalk and can carry Gigabit traffic over a distance of up to 100m. These days, Cat 5e is the absolute minimum recommended buying, and even then, it’s worth paying the small extra for the step up to Cat 6.…”

“RE: For those of you that buy boutique Ethernet cables”

“ … Then you should understand there is a big difference between experts and users... Personally I take the experts word for it. When the expert says not only can you hear it but you can see it on an AP... I take his word for it lol... Sheesh you don’t even have to pay much for decent cables...Yes some cables are ridiculously priced but not all of them are…”

REVIEW:What causes audible differences in network cables

Intro
We round off our little investigation into network cables with a listening test and a clear conclusion. As promised we subjected the network plugs to a listening test and listened to three different configurations: shielding fixed on one side, shielding fixed on two sides and double shielded (and both sides connected). Do we hear differences? Well…. yes…!

Let’s clear up one myth: there is NO audible difference in network plugs. There is a difference in build quality, price and ease of installation. In short: it does make sense to invest in a good plug.

But let’s continue with the sound reproduction: as you know, we have installed everything from standard plugs to expensive Telegärtners. We tried all cables on the same switch (with an IFI power supply) and listened to the same system:
We did not notice any difference between the connectors. Sometimes we thought we heard something (think of a louder or sharper S-sound), but when we went back to the other connector, there was no difference. It is sometimes very complex to listen to this properly and to judge it honestly. But after hours of switching back and forth, we dare say that there is no difference in reproduction. In any case, we do not dare to take a bet in a blind test…

But where we do hear immediate differences – and continue to hear differences even when going back and forth – is the method of shielding.

We made three cables for this purpose: one cable with DeLock plugs and shielding fixed at one end. One cable with Delock plugs with the shielding fixed at both ends and finally the double shielded version with the nice sleeve. Also with the shielding on both sides (and Delock plugs).

What we observe almost immediately is that the version with the shielding fixed on both sides focuses better. The version with shielding on one side seems to play a bit larger, but that is not true: the effects in the song Perfect Life by Steven wilson are placed at the same spot in the room, but are more tightly framed with the cable where the shielding is fixed on both sides.

With voices, the same is true: it’s tighter in focus and also more stable between the speakers (if we move our heads back and forth, the voice stays in place better very odd).

Going to the double shielding we make another step. Again a bit more tightly focused, again a bit better framed. And with that a bit more calmness in the reproduction allowing details to surface a bit easier.

Clearly! For us it is clear where the differences come from: shielding, shielding, shielding.

And that is quite logical if you consider that a network cable is included in a digital chain. A chain that relies on clean energy to keep everything clocked tight. A chain that works with noise-levels of -140dB. A chain where small deviations are immediately audible in staging, focus and smoothness.

This also explains why fiber networks work so well as a first upgrade: you immediately shut out a lot of misery by creating a barrier through which electrical energy cannot pass. And thus no electrical noise (common mode in particular).

To conclude
Can you hear differences between network cables? Yes… definitely. Our samples have shown that. And about the real cables you can buy at the store… pay particular attention to what the manufacturer has done in terms of shielding. We would still leave the unshielded versions. Especially after this experience. But anyway: try it yourself at home!