Supex 900 question

Hi,
I recently came into a Supex 900 Super. Compared to an AT150MLX I have, it sounds warm, smooth, full bodied. The AT is much more three dimensional, airy and transparent.

When I run them both on the Hi-Fi News Test Record, the AT tracks like a champ. No problem with tracks 6-8. The Supex on the other hand only tracks 6 and buzzes substantially on 7 and 8. Both were set up with a Mint LP protractor. The Supex though was much more difficult to align because the cantilever is more pushed back and shorter. I think I got it right, maybe not quite as exact, but certainly better than I could with a worse protractor.

Are these tracking problems symptoms that the Supex may have suspension issues and need to be rebuilt? Or are they traditionally poor trackers?

I would love to get that smooth sound with a little more of the transparency of the AT.

Thanks,
Greg
gregmeier

Showing 3 responses by bcoasis

Hi Greg, I have a 909 mk2 which was rebuilt by the Garrotts to great effect. It tracks very well fwiw. To me it's kind of a 'poor man's' Koetsu if you can excuse the expression ;-) I use mine on either an Ikeda IT-345 or an SME 1012R.
Hi Greg, my other carts are an ortofon MC3000, Garrott P89, Decca SC4E. I've had an AT 150MLX fwiw, among (many ;-) ) other cartridges.
It's been a really long time since I heard the AT and to be fair, for the same reason/biases I don't own a Koetsu, it wouldn't really be appropriate to compare the Supex against specifically my Decca and P89.
I do however really like my Supex. It's a very relaxed sound, great midrange. It doesn't rock imho. Mine tracks superbly fwiw.
Check out cartridgedb.com for your setting if you haven't already.
If you have the spare funds I really encourage you to get your one rebuilt unless you listen to mostly rock.
Hope that helps and all imho ;-)
Greg, perhaps the stylus is worn? Loading? From what I have, I would not describe the sound as muddy. A bit soft at the extremes compared to sota but a very mice midrange that is killer on the right material.