Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp or ARC SP14?

Hello! I'm planning on purchasing a tube preamp for my Dynaudio Air20 powered monitors. I've narrowed it down to a Sunfire Classic Tube pre and an Audio Research SP14.

I don't want to spend over $1,500 (give or take a few hundred). I'm looking for a extremely detailed sound that retains impulse response so I can hear fundamental notes. I am a drummer and a main objective of mine, other than just enjoying music, is to analyze drum sections of music.

I realize the first obvious choice would be to go solid state, but I do enjoy a bit of the warmth of tubes, not to mention a 3d soundstage that is large. I definitely want to stay away from the soft tube sound.

I've read great things about the Sunfire (great detail, huge soundstage, tight bass) but I realize its fully tube, whereas the SP14 is a hybrid. I'm thinking the fact that it's a hybrid may give me the immediacy and impulse response I'm looking for.

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two preamps?

There are many other choices out there but I'm wary of trying smaller companies because I don't have access to listening to many of them. I also would like to avoid getting into the extended buying/selling process in order to find something appropriate.
woofer72

Showing 1 response by zd542

You can't predict how a component will sound by looking at generic features. There's nothing that says a solid state preamp can't image, and also have less "warmth" than SS.

"There are many other choices out there but I'm wary of trying smaller companies because I don't have access to listening to many of them. I also would like to avoid getting into the extended buying/selling process in order to find something appropriate."

The only way to avoid that is to make the choice yourself.

Also, I think your speakers have a built in dac/preamp. If so, you're just wasting money on a separate preamp. Why buy a preamp only to have the signal coming from it converted to digital, then back to analog and run it through a 2nd active linestage?