Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 + Audio Technica AT-PL120

Hi, I'm currently usin an Audio Technica AT-PL120 with with all the stadard accessories, including the tonearm and ATP-2 cartridge. I'm thinking that it might be a sonic benefit to upgrade the cartridge to the Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, however the ATP-2 is a MM and the Blue Point is a MC. Will this present any problems? I couldn't really tell if the specs on either of the cartridges match or not. Both are half-inch mount, so I shouldn't need a new headshell. Will the lower output be an issue? Also, I am using the internal pre-amp in the AT-PL120, as my Parasound AVC-1800 doesn't have a Phono input. Furthermore, I use a Rotel 980BX for stereo amplification, Acoustic Research interconnects, and Infinity Overture 2 speakers. Thanks for any insight.
toohottoholdonto
That is very interesting. Thanks for the response. A couple Ortofons had been second on my list, but the 2M Blue will probably move to the top in light of your recommendation. Thanks again for the great information.
There's nothing dimensionally that would prevent you from mounting a BP #2 on the AT-PL120. The PL-120's built-in phono stage can probably handle the Blue Point's lower output. You will find that you have to turn the volume up on your Parasound unit to achieve the same in-room loudness.

To get a better match with the BP #2, you should probably get the Sumiko headshell as well. It's a bit heavier and should raise the tonearm's effective mass to better match the compliance of the BP #2.

You may want to consider the Ortofon 2M Blue instead, however. It has much higher output and its compliance is almost certainly a better match for the PL-120's arm than the Blue Point.

The editor of the online Tone Audio magazine reviewed the AT PL-120 in Issue 11 on page 9. He liked a couple of Ortofons and a Grado wood-bodied Platinum. In private correspondence with another editor who was working closely with him, he told me they found the 2M Blue to be a surprisingly good match with both the PL-120 and the turntable that inspired it, the Technics SL12x0.