Suggestions: Sonus Faber, Monitor Audio, Elac etc?

Hi All,

I am currently in the market for a midsize floorstander. I am not a bass junkie, but I like tight, accurate bass which I can feel when required. I can get the following speakers (very limited range here in South Africa) within my budget:

1. Monitor Audio GR-20 and GR-60
2. Sonus Faber Grand Piano
3. Elac 207.2 or 208.2

The GR-60 appeals to me as I expect better bass response with them with the extra driver, but I would like some opinions as to wether the others (which have only single bass drivers, a mid and a tweeter) may perhaps be a bit bass light? I have a mid to large room, but in a long wall setup. Speakers are about 2m apart and I sit around 1.8-2m from the speakers.

I am downscaling from B&W Matrix 801's which were way too big and difficult to driver, but of reference quality. I thus want to DOWNSCALE, but NOT downgrade quality-wise. Any advice is welcome, but please try not suggest other speakers as there is very limited availability here. I am trying to gauge their overall bass response, and the mid and high range quality levels.

Thanks,
CL
xenithon

Showing 1 response by jordan721

CL
I have owned 801 F series speakers and always enjoyed the sound. Also I recently purchased the Nat series 802's as the 801's are quite frankly to large. The 802's are better sounding than the old 801's. however while shopping for the speakers, I listened to the Sonus Faber speakers and really liked the sound. They are fast and extremely musical. I was very impressed and I'm sure if the local shop had the newer sonus speaker I would be enjoying them in my home right now rather than keeping with the familiar B&W sound. Go back to the store with a copy of Paul Simon "Graceland" CD and listen to the song " Diamonds on the soul of her shoes". Make sure the volume is up, sit back and you will judge just how quick and responsive that speaker is and probably take them home. For my call you won't go wrong with the Sonus Faber.
Rich