Suggestions on turntable to pair with Rogue RP-7 > Finale 300B SET monos > Heresy 3's

So I've been kind of an asshole when it comes to vinyl, thinking it is too much hassle and the like.  Lots of my friends have turntables but they have more patience than I do typically. I have a few terabytes of FLAC files and I'm perfectly happy running music into my system via a Benchmark DAC3 right now. This said, I was just gifted a decent record collection from my former boss, who passed away recently.  His final wife called (he was on his 3rd), and said he wanted me to have all his LP's.  I did not expect this, and I'm actually thinking of adding a turntable. The hardware is going to his daughter, so I don't get any options on that unless she says she doesn't want it. I don't really want to ask for more than I've been granted as I'm not THAT much of an asshole. 

I'm thinking of relocating my setup to another room in the house, but it doesn't mention anything about phono in the RP-7 manual.  I'm guessing I'll have to add a phono preamp, but have no experience with this so I'm hoping people have some good ideas to offer. I can probably swing a couple K towards all this, but I'm also willing to save for decent hardware. 

Thanks in advance.

irrenarzt

Showing 1 response by birdfan

Yeah yeah .. clarity, lack of surface noise,... all that... vinyl on a decent rig offers something different. I guess I’m different as I appreciate both for very different reasons. You sound like a man of means. But don’t drop $5k if your not sure. You can find a great nearly new or even good vintage TT for  $500 and a phono preamp for the same get great that wonderful analogue experience that, while not hi resolution, does something a digital only system simply can’t. And if you don’t fancy it give it to the goodwill. It’s worth the experiment in differences between the two. 

I wholly agree greed with other response encouraging you not dropping $5k if you’re not sure, regardless the the funds available. Consider it an aural experiment