Suggestions for upgrading amps in my home theater system

I currently have an Anthem 1120 receiver that I am planning to replace. I currently use a Moon Sim 330 A amp with the 1120. I have a 9 speaker home theater system with two subs, so I will need to power 9 speakers. I hate to sell my Moon Sim amp but I think I am better off with two 5 channel amps. I am seriously thinking of buying two Gen 2 Anthem 525 channel amps but not sure if the Anthem will be a downgrade from my Moon Sim 330 A

Thanks

galleybob

I know that with my set up I run in everything from 5.1 to 2.1 to just 2 channel.  You will notice, based on the way things are recorded.  I run a fair amount of turntable and cd on my mains and trying to run anything besides stereo mode, sounds wrong to me.  To me the center comes into play when you are running things beyond the 2 channel config. and, to me, acts more as part of the surround.  I'm just saying wait on selling the Sim amp until you absolutely know you're headed in the right direction.  Sorry, I've taken too many trips in the wrong direction and or given things away and just wanted to hit a untouchable rewind button.  I'm just saying what I would do, what works for me and some mistakes I've made.  Good luck.

Hi OP,

My suggestion, which you’ll have to double check is feasible, is to keep your moon and upgrade to the MRX 720.

I believe (and you need to double check) that all 7 channels are re-assignable. Which may mean you can use them all for the non main (L/R) channels. Looking at section 5.1 of the MRX 720 manual, under "Amp Matrixing" this should be possible.

https://manuals.anthemav.com/mrx-avm/en/103

Best,

Erik

@maxwave Great suggestion, I had not thought about the  MC MC8207. I thought it would be best to have the front three the same but I really would rather keep my Sim. Thanks

@Eric, that wouldn't work, I have an 1120 which I want to sell to buy the Anthem AVM 90. I am currently using the Moon for the Left -Right and the 1120 for the other 7 speakers

@hoosierinohio When I listen to music I am only using the Moon Sim 330A with L-R and no center and no ceiling speakers. The reality is that everything is good but I am a gear head and always thinking about making it better. I hate to lose money selling the Sim as it was expensive and a nice amp