Suggestions for a top flight streamer/Dac around the $2000 mark?

Time for another change and moving from my Ayre EX8 super integrated with built in streaming and dac to a BAT VK300SE integrated.
So looking to up the ante on streaming and dac sq with a dedicated streamer/dac.
I know this tech moves faster than I can keep track of!
So suggestions around the 2k mark and used is perfectly fine!
Many thanks!
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 2 responses by bond-san

I've had an Altair for over two years and I'm extremely happy with it.  It's not supposed to be as good as Auralic's separate units, but it's awfully close and I doubt I could tell any difference. Set up was easy and sound wise you can adjust the dac's filters to your preferences.  Personally, I like the idea of a streamer/dac combo where you do not need an extra cable and the two units are designed to compliment each other.  With the older Altair, you can always add a different dac in the future if you like to 'upgrade' often.  However, there is not much need to.  I don't think the new Altair G1 has a digital output to add a dac.  A used Lumin T1 would be a good choice also, but it's a bit more expensive.
While the Vega G1 is an excellent dac, it will not stream wirelessly(which Auralic recommends) like the Altair, so you will need another cable to connect to your network.  Auralic's support is also very good.  I was having an issue with my Altair and the owner of the company got involved personally and fixed it at no charge, even though it was over a year past its warranty.  You have several good choices(hard to make) from all the mentioned recommendations.