Suggestions for a top flight streamer/Dac around the $2000 mark?

Time for another change and moving from my Ayre EX8 super integrated with built in streaming and dac to a BAT VK300SE integrated.
So looking to up the ante on streaming and dac sq with a dedicated streamer/dac.
I know this tech moves faster than I can keep track of!
So suggestions around the 2k mark and used is perfectly fine!
Many thanks!
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 5 responses by big_greg

uber, I'm kind of going through this same exercise, looking for something better than my Bluesound Node 2.  The interface is pretty important to me, and that has eliminated a lot of contenders.  I've narrowed it down to Lumin either the D2 or U1 Mini (I can use it with my Auralic Vega DAC), and TEAC, the NT-505.  I'm leaning towards the NT-505, it's a bit less than the Lumin and you can use it with the Lumin software.
Unfortunately the Teac doesn't have a digital out.
That may or may not be a negative.  If you have a top of the line DAC already and want to use it, then obviously it's a negative.

I considered buying a streamer only (Lumin U1 Mini) but my thought process was that having it all in one box eliminates a power cord, a set of interconnects, and that DAC technology is somewhat mature now, while streaming technology seems to still be evolving.  

The TEAC sounds better than my BlueSound Node 2 did using my Auralic Vega (which was a $3500 DAC when new) as the DAC.  I don't miss the transition from the DAC in the TEAC from the Vega.  I'll never know now, but I doubt the U1 Mini / Vega combination would have been better than the TEAC and it would have been more expensive.

I feel like I got more bang for my buck with the TEAC and am very pleased with the sound quality.
@david_ten I'm not sure what to say to your post, other than "duh".  It's not like there are TEAC dealers all over where I can audition one.  The only one within a couple of hundred miles that came up on TEAC's web site was Frys, which does not appear to carry the NT-505.  There are more Lumin dealers, but I'm not aware of any nearby that would just let me take one home and try it with the Vega and even if they did, there would be no way I could have compared it to the NT-505.  Trying things out and auditioning them is highly recommended, but not always practical or possible.  Regardless, I'm happy with my purchase.  
@david_ten I agree with your point about having points of reference and comparisons. 

My point of reference was the Blue Sound Node 2 / Auralic Vega DAC combination that I had prior to purchasing the TEAC.  I shared my thought process about my purchasing decision, but did not make sound quality comparisons to something I haven't heard.  I did share my impressions of the TEAC vs. what I had. 

I appreciate it when people make posts about their actual experiences, not conjecture, and try to limit my posts to my personal experience and stay away from conjecture.