Suggestions for a pre amp with HT passthrough?

Looking to improve the 2 channel performance of my system by adding a 2 channel pre amp into the mix. As my music and movie enjoyment take place in the same room, I need some recommendations on great sounding pre amps that offer a dedicated HT passthrough. Ultimately I would like to try out both a tube pre amp (always been curious about tubes) and a SS pre amp so both suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
markusp

Showing 1 response by noble100

Having gone from a ss preamp to a tubed one, I'd definitely recommend the tubed versions. When you utilize the bypass mode, you'll gain the advantages of the circuit routed through tubes, even with movie dialogue: a more dimensional, musical and pleasing sound .
I'm sure there are very good ss designs out there but, from my experience, I'm convinced of the benefits of tubes. I use a VTL 2.5 with HT bypass and there haven't been issues with tube burnout or maintenance. In fact, I've left the preamp on continuosly for almost 2 years with no issues thus far. Tubed amps often require biasing and other maintenance, but tubes introduced through the preamp or a tubed cd are low maintenance and big on benefits.
You can also tailor the sound via tube rolling to match your tastes, which you can't with ss. Good luck and have fun.