Suggestions for a Pre-Amp for Welborne 300B DRDs

Looking to buy a pre-amp for Welborne 300B DRDs. Need suggestions/opinions on what people may have used and what worked well (and what didn't). (I have high efficiency speakers - 104db)
dkalsi

Showing 3 responses by darkmoebius

I used Stevens & Billington TVC's that I got from DiyHiFi Supply with my DRD 300B's and it was a phenomenal match with my upgraded Museatex Bitstream DAC(4V output) and 97dB Cain&Cain IM-Bens.

The only problem I had was using low output MC phono cartridges because you give up 12-16db of an active preamp. With your 104dB horns, that might not even be a problem.
$1,200? Well, that depends....

You can buy a brand new Django TVC(factory assembled) from DiyHiFi for ~$1,185+shipping/insurance.

Was the one you are considering a kit or factory assembled? Does it have the "ultra-refined" silver wiring and silver rca's options.

If it was kit assembled, I'd opt for one directly from DiyHiFi at that price. If it was factory assembled w/ options, it still doesn't look like a deal for a used component. The norm around here is 30-50% off for used.

In fact, there's a used factory-assembled Django for sale here for $450 right now.

Btw, you should really shoot Brian Cherry at DiyHifi an email or post to their forum about whether the AVC might be a better match with your system than the TVC. I've heard mighty good things about the Autoformer version from people who've owned both .... especially with 100+ db speakers.
Hi Dkalsi,

I really think you should buy the factory-assembled Django that's for sale here for 1/3 the price. With the one you are considering, you are essentially paying the price of a brand new, factory-assembled, unit for used one which may, or may not, be a kit. Really makes no sense at all.
"It has S$B transformers and 2 expensive Sieden rotary switches for source selection and volume control. It has +6 6db switch.
That doesn't mean anything, all DiyHiFi Django kits also came with Seiden switches and +/- 6dB switch. I built my kit and have all the exact same parts. So, simply because the person lists that info, does not automatically mean it was factory-assembled, at all.
Secondly, the owner tell me that S&B no longer makes the transformers for the Django and that the new kits aviable have different transformers.
DiyHiFi's new transformers are built by Silk and they use Supermalloy SQ annealed cores.
I will inquire whether Brian whether its a good match for the Welborne DRDs.
I can assure you that the the Django is a great match with DRD's if your source components have enough voltage to drive the DRD's 0.7V input sensitivity. Almost every known source does, so that shouldn't be an issue, especially since you have extremely high efficiency speakers.

What I was suggesting you check with Brian Cherry about, is whether his Autoformer Volume Control(AVC) would be a better match for your system than the TVC since you have 104 dB speakers.

An AVC is similar to a TVC, except it doesn't have transformer secondary winding for galvanic isolation. It just has a primary winding. Some people have said that the AVC sounds even better, more transparent, with better "slam" and dynamics than the TVC.