Suggestions for a good stereo preamp and amp

I have a pair of b&w 704s, which I have been driving with Rotel rsx 1057 for the last 7 yrs. My receiver is not working.I need to repair it with factory later. I also have a Rel T1 sub and Oppo bdp93. The speakers are 150w in 8 ohms. The rotel only had 75 watts/Ch, and I always thought I never did justice to the speakers. I still want to stay with 2.1 system,but need to move to separates.I do not have a very large budget, but may be able to spend up to 1500 dollars. I heard about Emotiva, but not totally sold on it.If some of my good friends who own a pair off b&w speakers can offer suggestions, that will be wonderful. This system is in the family room, not enclosed.
mammen1

Showing 3 responses by zd542

I agree. At this price point, I think an integrated would be a better way to go. The Krell would be a good choice. Another integrated you may want to consider is a Musical Fidelity A3.5. I used to have one, and while I'm not a big fan of B&W, I heard the A3.5 several times with B&W and it was a very good match. Compared to the 400i, I like the midrange of the Krell a little better but the MF if faster and more powerful. If you like PRAT, it does that very well. Between the two, its just a matter of personal taste.

I was also going to mention the Creek 5350. For sound quality, that's my favourite one in this price range. It looks though, like you may need something more powerful. For power, the Creek should be about the same as what you have now.
If you like the Krell, I wouldn't be to fast to rule it out. I think its possible get a good used one and still be within budget.
"3-to get a noticable difference in power, you will more or less have to double the wattage. A multi channel receiver will put out more power into 2 channels vs 5 or 7."

There's more to it than that. Its hard to judge the power an amp by looking at a spec sheet.