Subwoofers: Inexpensive Hsu vs REL

Does anyone feel the incremental dollars for a REL subwoofer versus an Hsu TN1220HO are well spent? I know the Hsu TN1220HO goes to 20Hz and is down only a little at 16, so it is not the depth. I would 'crossover' Merlin VSM-Milleniums at 40 or 50 Hz, so it is not a wide bandwidth involved. You don't need incredible detail below 50 Hz, so I imagine you have to work real hard to hear differences between subwoofers presuming they both roll off steep. The Hsu rolls off at -24db per octave, so you are not going to hear much above 50Hz, therefore it should not give its position away (e.g. 'directionality'). The Hsu fires toward the ceiling, not the floor, so you are not exciting the floor too much. You can get two (2) Hsu's for $1,500 - you can't come close to that with REL. Am I missing something? Has anyone heard both?
gererick

Showing 1 response by kgb540

One area that HSU is able to save money is the quality of construction. REL subwoofers are furniture grade fit and finish, while the HSU somewhat lags behind in this area. But like I stated, it is a functional, cost saving move. If you were to build 2 HSU-like sonotube subs, with better drivers, it would cost you about $300 in material (+ your time in labor). If you are woodowrking inclined at all, that is the way I would go. Good luck.