Subwoofers for Magnepan 20.1s?

I used Granite Audio's Ultimate Low Bass CD and my 20.1s go to 25Hz at -10dB and my room is 16x26x10 (speakers approx 6ft from back wall and 3.5ft from side walls on ends). I can get -6dB in the 29-33dB range and then it is pretty flat with a slight drop in the 50-60Hz range. I am not a bass fanatic, but on some recordings, I wish I had some further lower bass extension without becoming unnatural sounding/boomy. I know HP likes Nola Thunderbolt subs with the 20.1s. Has anyone tried them or any others? Other system components: Pass X250.5 amp and Xono phonostage, Audio Research Ref 3 preamp and Ref 8 CD player, VPI superscoutmaster reference turntable/10.5 tonearm, Dynavector XV1S cart.
powerdoctor
Marty, The Fostex fw800hs 31.5in woofer can be used up to 250hz with no issues. Which drivers are you referring to that you have experience with that can not be used around 100hz? Large drivers have many benefits if designed proper, great transient response,very hi-efficiency, massive cone area. But costly -large.
John,

Rythmik Audio does not recommend crossing their 15" model above 80hz. Meniscus Audio, a custom builder (that often -but not always - uses the Rythmik drivers) told me the same thing and added that they prefer to cross most 12" drivers at or below 100hz (even for a stereo pair). I gather that they feel these drivers behave optimally below these frequencies - not that they're incapable of providing linear response above that point. Maybe it's just an abundance of caution.

Marty
Well, this is a tough one. I would also recommend 2 smaller subs for speed and balance in the room.

The JL Audio f110 is -3db at 25HZ, so if you go the JL Audio route I think you would at least need the f112 which is -3db at 19HZ, since your Maggies are already -6db at 31HZ, according to your measurements.

I would think two JL Audio f112's would be the right size for you in this particular setup, however I'm not saying that they will keep up with Maggies, actually nothing probably will, but at least they'll have a chance.

However, I'm thinking of going another route. How about the Wilson Benesch Torus Infrasonic Generator?

http://www.avguide.com/review/wilson-benesch-torus-infrasonic-generator-subwoofer

http://www.wilson-benesch.com/2005/02/torus-infrasonic-generator.html

I've never heard these myself, but you must admit they do sound interesting.

Although, not as fast as your Maggies, I have a pair of Kharma Mini Exquisites, and sometimes I would like a little more bass, however I live in a Condo, so I don't think my neighbors would agree, but if I did add a sub; the Wilson Benesch, Kharma (for my purposes only), JL Audio, and REL would be on my short list too.

I've owned a REL Storm in the past with a pair of Sonus Faber Speakers, and although the REL's are musical, I also didn't think that the bass was fast and tight enough for me. Possibly, the larger, more expensive ones are better.

Martin Logan also has a pretty decent less expensive Sub, that has three fast 8" subwoofers in one box, that have to keep up with their panels.

06-02-09: Richlane
I would think two JL Audio f112's would be the right size for you in this particular setup, however I'm not saying that they will keep up with Maggies, actually nothing probably will, but at least they'll have a chance.
Yes they will keep up. Totally. And they'll blend and integrate well with the Maggies. The Maggies aren't the fastest panels out there. JLs have no problem keeping up.