Subwoofers and Crossovers.

My system is Cary DMS-550 / Luxman L-507uxii / Spendor D7.2

After researching I decided to add an active crossover and two stereo subs to the system.

1. I am looking at JL Audio CR-1 as the crossover.  This will take the pre-out from the Luxman and feed mains-in and setup the Luxman as separates. Is there anything else that I should look at?  I am only looking at analog solutions.
  2. After looking a REL, Rythmic, SVS, Martin Logan and JL, I am leaning towards getting two JL Dominion D110s.  Would these subs be sufficient or should I be getting JL E110s? I won’t be using the internal crossovers, so primary concern is fidelity.
  3. If I am unable to treat the room properly, I may be introducing a DSP solution just for the subwoofers.

I am looking for some advice from people who have walked this path before me on both the active crossover and the quality of D110s. 

I would appreciate any advice on this process of integrating subwoofers into a two channel audio system.

dimbhaka

@yogiboy , Thanks for the information. May I ask what replaced the D110/HSU with? Just curious if there is a better solution.

@james633 , Are there any intermediate priced crossovers? I am seeing them either priced at around $200 or around $3500.

@jl35 ,  Thanks for the link. 

I just don’t use subwoofers anymore. But like I stated the JL is an outstanding sub!

I don’t know of many mid priced ones. There are cheap ones and pricy ones from JL, Bryston, and wilson audio. 

I have read some people say you can just use an inline resistor to act as a high pass. You could probably find a thread about it here probably. 

@james633 , Thank you, I will search the forum. I will probably use low cost high pass filter and then replace it with the JL CR-1 later.

You should try the subs running the speakers full range. You might not need any high pass filter!