Subwoofer

A couple of days ago I was talking to a dealer and he said that all speakers benefit from adding a subwoofer. What's are your thoughts? 
ricred1

Showing 2 responses by ejr1953

I am on my third setup with sub woofers.  I find you must have patience to get them properly integrated into your music system.  But once done, they add so much to the sound of the system, they take the great sound from the main speakers and make them sound awesome.

One of my audio "mentors" used to tell me that the best sub woofer was one that didn't sound like it was there, unless of course, you are a person whose pants hang down, exposing your undies.

This last go around was the most difficult integration of all, as the room had all sorts of resonances that interfered in a big way with the law bass.  It took the installation of 10 bass traps and tuning the crossover frequency, curve and volume using the Room EQ Wizard software and calibration microphone to get it sounding "just right".  Now that it does, it just sounds awesome!
My subs are very well integrated into my system, the room treatments have quelled the spurious room resonances that detracted from the bass, and the system sounds great.

So last night I fired up the system with the pre-amp output to the subs turned off, the system sounded great that way, then I turned the pre-amp output to the subs on and it was like the "Wizard of Oz", when Dorothy approached the kingdom and the film suddenly was in color!