subwoofer setup problem

I am trying to mate an ACI Titan II with my Thiel 22. The Thiels go down to 30 hz but the lowest crossover on the Titan is 35hz. Thus, there is an annoying overlap in frequency. I am considering several possible options and would appreciate some input. They are (1) get a REL sub whose lowest crossover point is 28 hz. (2) get an active crossover and cross my mains at a higher point. (3) use a passive 65hz filter between my preamp and amp that ACI has.
The passive filter is the cheapest route but will it do more harm (to the sound of my thiels) than good?

Thanks
Greg
kadlec

Showing 1 response by jd798ff8

Try the passive filters. I use them and find them very transparent. Not only that, they have improved the sound of every main speaker I've tried them with. Because they roll off at a gradual 6db octave rate, they make the transition smoother AND improve the dynamics of the mains. I'll be real surprised if you aren't able to get seamless with the Titan II, my Jaguars are strong to low 30s but with the 85Hz filters and my Titan IIs set around 50Hz it is superb. I was actually able to greatly reduce a major room peak for smoother, more extended bass than with the Jags alone.