Subwoofer rumble issue

I’m having a hard time solving a problem that seems to come and go. My subwoofer will rumble uncontrollably when playing records at a higher volume. If I turn the volume down sharply it goes away but when I creep the volume back up it comes back. I’ve tried isolating my turntable as much as possible with diy books, isolation feet, etc. (I don’t want to buy an expensive isolation platform unless that really is the issue.) Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? Thx!
paulgardner
First look to see how much subsonic turntable rumble is getting through. If the woofers flutter a lot at high volume even with no signal, like on the lead-in and lead-out grooves, or between tracks, that’s one thing.

Also does this ever happen playing CDs?

If you have no problem playing CDs, and especially if you also have a lot of flutter, then yes you need a better platform.

Just not any sort of isolation platform. There is by the way no such thing. What there is is vibration control. This false notion of isolation makes people forget what is so plainly evident, that a box full of sand ain’t gonna isolate nuttin but it certainly will control and eliminate a lot of troublesome vibrations reaching your turntable.
I hear ya on the isolation thing. It does rumble in between tracks. I do not run a CD player, just phono. I’ll keep playing with trying to reduce vibration. Hmmmm
Perhaps you have too much gain going to your sub or you have it crossover too high. Let us know if you find a solution. All the best
paulgardner
My subwoofer will rumble uncontrollably when playing records at a higher volume.

Your are getting "air-born feedback", and it can’t be cured with better stand mounting.

Do this.
If you just put the stylus on a record NOT spinning, turn the volume up to your normal position, one hand on the volume control, then gently tap the turntable plinth, you will see you’ll get "runaway feedback", which just gets louder and louder.
The only way to cure this is no subwoofer or the turntable goes in another room.

Cheers George
What turntable do you have? Some are more prone to this issue than others. Where is the turntable in relation to your speakers and turntable?