Subwoofer Question

I’ve decided to try a sub in my system but without much experience with subs I bought a Definitive Sub Pro 80. This is for 2ch audio. It had great reviews and for the price I thought I might give it a try. I have a pretty small listening room, so I don’t think I need anything much bigger. There is certainly more bass to the system now, and I kind of like this; however it through my system off balance. Stage is much more difficult to control it seems like. Now it sits on the left side near the speaker. My question is… do I need to get a second sub? Different sub? Maybe, position it differently?

Thanks.
moganes

Showing 1 response by turk944

The reason that a subwoofer is non-directional below a certain frequency is because eventually the actual sound wave is so long that the ear cannot differentiate it. The reason is, usually, for high frequency sound, the ears will compare the sound they recieve with respect to one another do localize the sound. With very low frequencies, the wave is actually longer than your head is wide, so the ears cannot compare one side to another because to them, the look the same. This is why you get non-localized sound.