Subwoofer Choice

I am in the process of building out my system. I have the end goal in mind, and ticking off the equipment as I get them. I do need some advice in the subwoofer category.

I am currently driving Monitor Audio Silver 500s with a Michi X5 integrated amp (600w @ 4Ohms RMS). This is way overkill for these speakers. But my purchase (coming in August) will be the Focal Sopra No. 3s.

That being said, I am looking also to add a subwoofer and I’ve settled between two (2) REL T/9x’s or one (1) REL S/510. T/9X is $1,249 vs S/510 at $2,749.

There is a REL youtube video from their chief designer comparing (briefly) the two and actually stating that "just because one S/510 costs twice as much as 2 T/9x don’t think you can equate them with 2 vs 1". I paraphrased a bit.

But the below is only 3min long please watch and let me know!

What are your thoughts. Obviously 2 subs are better balanced than 1, I get that. But given the specs here am I better at buying up for the better 10"?

Listening room is carpet, 16’ x 24’. 384sqft. 8ft ceilings. What info did I leave out?

bound4h

@bound4h Congrats on the S/812 purchase, Bassline Blue high level connection is an upgrade from stock cable.

+1 for looking at Rythmik.  Several years ago I went with the servo-controlled, sealed F12G with the paper driver for the speed/musicality components listed above.  It marries seamlessly with my Magnepan MMGs when dialed in properly.  I think anyone looking for a sub is doing themselves a disservice by not looking at the Rythmik line.  

@james633 

No, unfortunately the Michi X5 does not contain any sort of crossover controls but does allow for some simple tone controls (treble, bass and that's it).  Not sure if those controls apply to the high level outs only?  

So, as a more general question, is it true that because i have an integrated that I cannot use a separate crossover at all?  I believe yes is this answer, but wasn't sure if your comment was in response to the CR-1 specifically.

@hartf36: Yes indeed! Now you may want to check out the OB/Dipole Sub offered in collaboration between Brian Ding of Rythmik Audio and Danny Richie of GR Research (as is your F12G). It uses two or three (your choice) of the same paper cone woofer as found in your F12G, but the driver electrically optimized for open baffle use. The woofers are mounted in an open baffle "frame", the sub therefore propagating sound in the same manner as dipole loudpspeakers---from both the front and rear of the drivers. The ultimate sub for Magnepans (as well as all other dipoles)!

A dipole woofer system has been under development at Magnepan for the past few years, and will eventually be offered in both the upcoming "30.7 For Condos" model and as a stand-alone sub for use with the company’s other models (as well as those of all other companies). It is not, however, an open baffle design, merely a dipole. Numerous woofers mounted in a sealed enclosure, drivers firing forward and backward. Can’t wait to hear it!