sub for $3500 or less

started this thread in the home theatre section, but maybe better suited for the speaker forum. just got a great tv and looking for the "super" sub...i'm only running 2 channel and the sub would be for movies...i'm very pleased with my system so far and believe that a bad a** sub is long over due...i very much enjoy movie night...budget is $3500 or less and would appreciate any advice from my fellow audiogon comrads... thanks, brent
128x128knollbrent

Showing 7 responses by knollbrent

i appreciate the advice fellas,but it looks like i'm gonna go against the grain...the gent that has helped with my amp, pre, and the piega's has a piega mk11, mint, for $2500. running 2 channel piega c-10 ltds and figure the piega sub would pair quite nicely...had i not gone this route, the velodyne seems to be a crowd favorite...thanks for your suggestions...gotta go warn the neighbors, brent
thanks for the info gentlemen...the velodyne dd 15 and the piega mk11 are the front runners...look forward to "The Return of the King" brent
the piega mk11 will be here next wednesday... it should come with the software and tuning capabilities that the velo has...i would think a sub with a msrp of $5000 has the tuning abilities that dd series has...the velo subs must be very good, no doubt in my mind, but at the same time, piega is no slouch...the gent who is selling it has heard only one that was better and that was the watch dog- that's a good comparison in my book...i've had no regrets with my system so far...brent
it's all good dude...i asked for advice and got it- it's been appreciated as i have stated....do i have to buy what YOU tell me to buy? you must have a lot of equipt if you buy what everyone recommends.
just a little update...i went with the piega mk11 and am really enjoying it...it's been quite awhile since i've had a sub for home theatre and i'd forgotten what an impact they make...i thought that my two channels were going to handle the load, but there is no comparison when it comes to movies...i do enjoy movie night and this has been well worth the investment...i enjoy the depth that my limiteds give me, so i haven't tuned it in for 2 channel listening- i will some day, just to give it a whirl....brent