Sub-Amp Wiring Question - Damping Factor Vs. Power Vs. Bridged/Stereo Mode

I have a subwoofer with dual voice coils rated for 600 W. It can be wired to 2 ohm or 8 ohm. I have a two channel amp that can be bridged. Here are my wiring options:

1) 2 ohm subwoofer wiring on one channel of the amp which in this case provides 1,000 watts RMS

2) 8 ohm subwoofer wiring with bridged mode on the amp which provides 1,300 watts RMS. (The amp isn’t stable at 2 ohm bridged by the way)

As you can see, either mode provides ample wattage. More watts is usually better but there are other factors at play. One channel at 2 ohms provides a lower damping factor than the bridged option (I believe an 8 ohm load on the bridged amp would make the amp see a 4 ohm load which should provide a better damping factor. That being said, it seems to be the general consensus around here that bridged mode operation of amps doesn’t sound as good as just using one channel). 

So it really comes down to:

1) Less power, lower damping factor, non-bridge mode.

2) More power, higher damping factor, bridged mode.

Does anyone know what would provide better sound quality?

128x128mkgus

82.7 mercy!!! 90-91% efficient is what I run. 82.7 you would need a welding machine to pump it out. Start there 83% efficient is a tosser for me. Get a better driver, FIRST. 

No need to get a more efficient driver when we live in the 21st century and the price of amplifier watts can be had for much less than $1 per watt. High wattage requirements and low driver efficiencies no longer hold us back, fortunately. 

82.7 mercy!!! 90-91% efficient is what I run

Which subs are 90% efficient.@oldhvymec ?

My guess would be very large subwoofers, 15” or 18”. I’ve seen efficiencies that high on large subwoofers. 

I use 12K Behringers on 91% efficient speakers @ 8 ohms

I have seen 90-100 dB/W/Meter sensitivity, but even that 100dB is like 6% efficient.