sub-$1000 bookshelf speaker/monitor recommendation

I'm putting together a living room system and looking for recommendations for speakers. I'm not sure if I'll get away with stand-mounted monitors, so I'm leaning towards front-ported or sealed-box designs, as these may end up on bookshelves. I'd like to keep the price under $1000 used. I would list the associated gear, but there isn't any yet! I prefer to build systems around the speakers, so I'm going to work backwards here. For an amp I'm thinking of a Pathos Classic One or maybe something from Peachtree. I'll be using vinyl and streaming from my server in the adjoining room. I listen to a really eclectic variety of music. I'm looking for some downright enjoyable speakers to listen to, as opposed to the last word in detail (not looking to master records in the living room, after all!). Thanks in advance for your help!
mimberman
If they really are going to end up on bookshelves, therefore very close to the rear wall, your options narrow down a bit, front porting or sealed-box design notwithstanding.

Take a look at North Creek Music's near-the-wall speakers. Along with the near-wall-specific design, George Short has built in world-class crossovers, innovative cabinet plans and IMHO terrific value. You can build them yourself as kits or get them made up.

Even if you don't go North Creek, the site contains a great deal of information pertinent to choosing any speaker which must go near the wall.

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/
I got my Proac Tablette Ref 8 Signatures on A-gon for $900. They are, in a word, unbelievable. I've long been a Proac fan and had high expectations, but these little guys blew me away; they seem to defy the laws of physics.
Look at the GR Research Neo 2X sealed speakers. You can either purchase a kit or completely built pair for under $1,000.
Thanks everyone for the replies. After researching them the Proac's and Spendors are definitely interesting. More options welcome! I've got time to put this system together.