Stylus cleaning: tools, fluids, techniques?

I'm interested in your opinions about the best stylus cleaning tools and fluids are. I'd also like some input as to how to clean the stylus; but not so basic as to "always in the direction of record play". I'm more interested in how often, always with fluid, sometimes dry, how much force against the cantilever.

This question comes about as the result of my killing an inexpensive, but enjoyable, cartridge. I'm wondering if I "loved it too much". I'd like to get my vinyl hygeine down before the upgrade bug bites that part of my system.
128x128macdonj

Showing 1 response by jacks0395

I've always been leary of polymer based stylus cleaners as they place negative force against the stylus shaft itself. There aren't any records that my stylus has stuck to. This force over time may lead to premature wear of the shaft and suspension, even when used correctly. Imagine a wire that is twisted back and forth. Eventually the wire will break at the stress point. Will this happen over time? If it doesn't actually break, it will still have stress points due to the stress applied in both normal use and with the negative stress placed upon cleaning with the polymer cleaner. Isn't this worth considering? If it doesn't break, it seems logical that the metal used in the shaft is at least stressed, so it is weaker. This may affect the sonics of the cartridge.

Polymer products are also petroleum based, so it is logical that the solvent action of the petroleum within the compound is what actually cleans the stylus. With these types of solvents, a film is present after the cleaning, which may lead to additional stylus build up. This also is of concern to me.

I've seen others use the polymer based cleaners, many believe in them, but for me the verdict is still out. Properly used, liquid stylus cleaners work fine, without imposing negative force, without creating stress points, and without films left behind. I'd used Audio Technica back in the 70's, Last during the 1980's and early 1990's, and Record Research since then, without any premature wear or stylus suspension failures. Cartridges used include the top of the line models from Grado, Benz, Koetsu, vdH, and Clearaudio.