strengths and weaknesses of rotel rc 995?

I am getting a rotel 995 pre. what amplifier matches best with it?
lubertjoe

Showing 1 response by joshcloud9

I recently let my RC-995 go due to a "new" older model Arcam Integrated (very highly rated, $900 class B - I believe) that I was going to biamp with…

Well I used the Arcam as a pre and the Rotel absolutely walked all over the Arcam, I have also compared it directly to a MF X-Pre and a Monarchy 33. The 995 would still be choice above all these as a preamp.

Interestingly I also compared the "guts" of the Arcam Int to the 995, guess what the Rotel Pre has 4 much bigger caps than the Arcam Integrated's 2 little ones. Toroidal's were not noticeably much different. This is comparing a PREAMP to a highly regarded Integrated.

I do not think you will regret the 995. Get a fat shielded power cord :)

I have used the 995 with an Aragon and Rotel power amp, I preferred the Rotel RB-981; Vocals were brought forward in a lovely natural (also sounded nice and warm but revealing too) way compared the Aragon’s slightly cold sound. If you listen to mostly instrumental music I think the "flat" sound of the Aragon might suit better. But for vocals the Rotel sound gets my vote.

I have always liked neutral sounding power amps until I heard the Rotel 981, I was amazed! It really depends on your preference and the speakers they're hooked up to.

The Rotel sounded not nearly as good hooked up to a big power hungry pair of B&W 802 Series 80's (85db), but much better when hooked up to my efficient B&W P4's (89db). And I mean much more musical, eats my buddies far more expensive and revealing system IMHO :)

I believe the RC-995 is a very neutral, clean and dynamic pre, matches very with the RB-981 (I cannot comment on other Rotel power amps though).

I have a RC-1070 arriving soon and will be interested to see if it makes the grade?

Will advise...