streaming with benchmark2-dx DAC - problem - no signal to preamp

I am trying to stream from a newly purchased Benchmark2dx DAC via usb, using the benchmark usb cable connected to an Apple USB3 camera adapter, which is connected to a new ipad.  The camera adapter is also connected to a wall charger.  There is signal to the DAC's headphone outputs, but no signal to the Anthem preamp. 

The DAC is connected to the preamp's dvd intput. The disc player plays fine on that intput through the DAC. 

I called Benchmark tech support.  They were helpful, but we could not identify the problem.  I expect I am missing a basic setting, any help appreciated.
jminock
I am sure Benchmark asked you to do this but I will ask just in case. Did you reboot the iPad?

I never knew the iPad could be connected to the DAC directly. I thought you needed a computer and not a iOS tablet.

Yes, rebooted the ipad.
The Apple camera adapter has a usb 3 input and a lightning input (which provides power when connected to a wall charger), and a lightning output to the ipad.
Is your iPad scenario something that Benchmark says is supported?

The issue sounds like whether the default USB iOS driver that needs to be compatible with the Benchmark is working as expected. 
Seems strange it does the same thing with two different DACs and the headphones work. The signal is getting to the DAC and the headphone amp works, CD players work the only thing I can think of is some kind of software incapatability sending the signal from iPad to dac  to the preamp. Have you tried connecting a laptop to the DAC USB input ?
At your suggestion I connected a PC via usb to the Benchmark.  Same result, no signal to the preamp.