streaming and audiophile stereo

I have heard it said that an audio system is only as good as its weakest link. I want to complete a system that will give me access to lots of music by Tidal and Roon, and I want the music played through some true audiophile components.  I am used to tube preamps, and will probably go that way again, though ss remains a possibility.  The speakers I intend to use are very efficient - 20 watts of amplification would be ample.  Here's my question:  in such a system, how important, and how variable, are the audio qualities of the digital source component - the streamer - at the front end?  If it does MQA does that alone mean it is the highest quality audio possible at this end of the system?  Or do some that accommodate MQA provide better sound than others that also accommodate MQA?  I see lots of reviews of features of these components, but not much about their individual sonic qualities.  Leaving aside features and convenience, are some better sounding than others and would this depend entirely on the DAC used?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtwilightround

To reach audiophile quality on streaming you need just one thing  -- LUCK.

You don't get lucky, even on highest resolution files you will hear crap.

I'm sure there a differences in the quality of the recording.  What I was trying to ask is about the streaming component itself.  Take two identical recordings, played on two systems with the same preamp, amp, cables and speakers in the same room, but with different streamers, each boasting MQA capability.  Can one sound better than the other because of better hardware (or, I suppose, software) in the streamer itself?  For example, the Blusound Node costs less than $700.  Other streamers can cost a lot more.  Assuming you  put each in an identical audiophile system, playing songs in MQA in each, and leaving aside appearance and features,,  will they sound the same because the underlying digital information is the same?  Is it possible for the streamer itself to "color" the music?  And if so, why is it that reviews seem to ignore such effects?

op - there are numerous threads over the past year or two in the digital section asking about and debating the sonic differences in digital streamers, i suggest you search and i am confident you will find useful info

The streamer is as important as any other component and should be carefully chosen and in general of the similar or greater value than the other components… preamp, amp, DAC. 

MQA… not really important. Ok, Qobuz is the best sounding streaming service… they don’t use MQA. If for some reason you are adamant about using Tidal, then your Streamer / DAC needs to unfold MQA. MQA can sound good… don’t listen to the haters… but the technology came too late… it was intended to save band width… well guess what… bandwidth is no longer an issue unless you have a 2400 baud modem.

You need the best possible streamer possible. The sound quality of mine equals my great analog/ vinyl end. 

It can happen of course but probably not in practice with most any good quality, proven, modern streamer.

It’s digital so pretty much anything including a “house sound” to differentiate from others if desired if possible.