Streamer vs renderer vs music server...help

I have been reading a lot of the forum posts to try understand my best path forward for my digital frontend.  Within the posts on streaming all these terms seem to come up with recommended brands but I am now somewhat confused as to what I need to get the best source sound quality to my DAC.  I don't know if I need a streamer, a dedicated music server, a renderer, a bridge, a roon endpoint, a combination of, or something else.  Looking for some education so I can then zero in on some options.  

I mostly stream tidal so I don't necessarily need to pay extra for CD ripping or file storage capabilities, however I won't discount these options if they come with the component that has great sound quality. Basically, how best do I get the Tidal stream to my DAC, preferably using Roon as the controller (open to other options if SQ is improved with different components).

I have a Leben CS600x, Devore 0/96s, and currently an Auralic Vega G2 but I am looking to change to the Holo Audio May KTE or a TotalDac.  The Vega has the built in streamer and lighting controller but I also use the Vega as a Roon endpoint with the Roon controller (I think that's how it works?)  The Roon core is currently on my iMAC.

Sorry for starting another post!  I tried to piece it together from other posts but there were too many types of components mentioned in the chain before the DAC that I didn't fully understand.

crandell25

@crandell25

i think your main decision is whether you are happy using tidal (and thus tidal connect) to handle all your music streaming needs... if so, you don’t need roon...

roon’s value is in integrating a variety of digital music sources - streamed as well as localized and computerized... think of it as a smart librarian that organizes all of it from different sources so you can see and choose from all of it, from various sources, in an easy to use, easy to understand manner, with nice photos and descriptions of each piece of music - the price of this of course, is in the subscription, and the cost of having a computer running to gather and coordinate all that info, plus send music to your endpoint/dac - you go that route then you need to spend more $ to do it right, keep your network and signal transfer noise free...

tidal connect does all that at your streamer, but of course, it only deals with organizing your music (favorites, genres, artists, new releases) streamed from tidal itself

Hi everyone,

I thought I would post an update. I took some time to decide on my commitment to Roon or other ecosystems. I decided I like Roon and preferred to stick with it and to find a way to make Roon sound its best. I ended up contacting Baetis Audio and they built a custom Revolution system around my needs. The system is a stripped down Linux implementation running roon with a great AES output that now runs directly into the Auralic Vega G2. The change was not subtle in my system and really exposed how running roon on my iMac or using the Vega’s built in streamer was not providing the performance you can get when things are implemented on a dedicated system. The music is much more detailed and has significantly more weight to it. I am very pleased with the change.

The other great thing with Baetis Audio is that you are not really stuck with a particular products ecosystem. If a Roon replacement comes out or you need a windows implementation to accommodate something different... it appears it is a fairly easy transition to make. I know some folks have Windows running on the Baetis systems and using JRiver instead vs how I implemented...

There are definitely lots of great options out there and we all have different needs and systems but I wanted to share my positive experience with the change to the Baetis Audio system. Joe at Baetis is fantastic to deal with as well!

@crandell25 

The change was not subtle in my system and really exposed how running roon on my iMac or using the Vega’s built in streamer was not providing the performance you can get when things are implemented on a dedicated system. The music is much more detailed and has significantly more weight to it. I am very pleased with the change.

Congratulations on your very successful outcome. I am glad that you discovered for your self that it is not a simplistic case of "it's only about the 1s and zeros" as was mentioned early in this thread. The quality of the digital source (Streamer/server/transport) most definitely matter as does DAC quality. As has wisely been said before, it all matters if you want to achieve excellent sound quality.

Charles