Streamer Upgrade

I have a modified Bluesound Node 2i with an upgraded power supply board and Terry Pardo power supply. While I am happy with it, I have the upgrade itch! I'm curious if anyone has upgraded from a modded Bluesound Node and what your thoughts are/were? On the TP website, they claim this upgrade brings "it very close to the level of network streamers costing twice as much" which makes me curious as to how big of a jump others experienced. I'm looking at streamer only as I am not interested in units with onboard DAC's. I currently use Roon with a Mac Mini as my Core. My DAC is the Schiit Gungnir MB. 

Thanks!

-Will

128x128willg1985

@willg1985 Innuos’ Sense platform is compatible with Spotify Connect. If you can swing for it, the Innuos will be a better performer overall as well than the two units you mention. 

You can access Spotify for Innuos via a third party app, which is also the case with Qobuz that you need to access through mconnect HD that I actually prefer because it is very similar in layout/function to the Qobuz site so very low learning curve.  Think it would be a similar experience with Spotify, and here’s how to get it to work…

https://innuos.com/kb/configure-the-spotify-streaming-service-innuos-2-0/

Can highly recommend Bricasti M5 as a Roon endpoint.  It features a self contained LPS, and is built like a tank.  I picked up mine used about 6 months ago from TMR, and I see that the TMR folks currently have one listed for sale.  Prior experience was with Bluesound kit and Roon Nucleus with Sbooster LPS streaming to itself.  The Bricasti was a big step up.  They are currently asking $1799 for it.  Would think that you could probably pry it away from them for something more like $1500, and maybe less if you have something worthwhile to them to offer in trade.

I used to use a Schiit Gumby multi bit dac as well, I still regret selling it. 

I recently moved from a pc based streamer ( optimized for streaming audio) first to a Roon Nucleus, that was a down grade IMO, it is one of the most over price streams on the market IMO. Unless you love roon and need it in a dedicated streamer I'd pass on the nucleus, specially after you open the box and see an empty chassis.  I sold the Roon as it wasn't even close to as good sounding as the Optimized PC with Tidal. 

After i sold the Nucleus I got an Arender A10 with an Internal DAC ($6k). this is build like a tank and the chassis is stuffed full. but in the end its about the same sound as the optimized PC i was using prior. I honestly think the DAC in it is lacking in many areas like extension and sounds rather boring. 

I wish i had the Schiit Gumby milti bit DAC still, i sold it to help fund a preamp. It's better IMO then the DAC 2 board in my McIntosh C2700 preamp and the Aureder A10's internal DAC. The Aurender is really a disappointment to me for what it costs. yes i have done a side by side comparison. 

If it was me any my $ I would upgrade your DAC maybe to one of Schiit's Yagys and call it a day. Or another quality DAC. I just don't hear the huge difference others seem to hear with these expensive streamers. I find the DAC has more of a change in sound then the streamer. i'd pick one you like the interface with and stick with it.

As of now I feel an Optimized Computer is better then the dedicated streamers ive tried thus far. 

@jazzman7  thanks for sending this. This unit looks awesome but the wife wouldn’t be happy without Spotify connect. I love TMR too.