Streamer opinion.. Pease comment on validity.

Please comment on the below statement. 

"A streamer is just a digital network appliance. It connects to a network, renders a digital stream, and spits out either analogue or digital audio stream. It's just digits; you don't need an 'audiophile network streamer' for the digital aspect. The 'audiophile' stuff is handled by the DAC. If the DAC can't clean up noise and jitter on the digital inputs, it's poorly engineered; look elsewhere."
128x128pkvintage

Showing 5 responses by mgrif104

Having done this test (different streamers into the same DAC), the differences are pretty easy to hear.  My experiences suggest that while the tonal quality will be similar, the better streamers are more “open” spatially.  I have a Node 2 in a system going into an outboard DAC. While it’s a killer device for the price, it sounds “flat” relative to my Aurender N100 and Auralic Aries G2.  Tonally they’re pretty close.  Spatially no contest.  And, I took them to the dealer who sold me the Node 2 - he heard the same improvement. Only way for the OP to know is to try themselves.
Erik: it’s possible - perhaps even likely - that you’re correct that the streamer technology will cause my existing units to become obsolete. However, I view it differently.  I’m enjoying the functionality and stability that my streamers currently provide. They’re all more convenient, have better apps, and sound better than the modded Mac mini I was using for that function. Further, I had to update the Mac OS far more often than I do my streamers.  So, purchasing a streamer has also lessened my stress. I don’t have to update something every time I turn it on.

The way i see it - the job of the streamer (and/or server) is two fold: 1) convenience for accessing music, and 2) improve the sound quality by providing a lower jitter and less noisy signal to the DAC.  

In my experience, the streamers I have do both those jobs well.  When new technology greatly eclipses what I have, I’ll adopt. But, I’m not going to avoid using what is currently available and which works very well because something better may be available in a few years.  The improvement in sound quality today is significant over PC/Mac based solutions. So is the convenience.  
My $.02
I should also add my DAC handles jitter just fine.  It’s a better than average unit.  The differences I heard were not due to a less than well engineered DAC.  When testing at the dealer, we ran through a well regarded reference level DAC.  Same result.  YMMV.
Best,
It’s a good question.  I lack the technical knowledge to comment on why.  But, I can comment on what.  And, the difference is pretty easy to hear - and it was validated by a dealer who carries the Node, but not the streamers I have.  I brought them in to audition on their system.  

Perhaps it’s similar to cables. Why do digital cables, speaker cables and analog interconnects sound different?  Heck, why do power cables sound different?  Though some doubt these differences, an audition reveals otherwise (I acknowledge the presence of confirmation bias).  But, the differences I hear were pretty clear - and confirmed by someone who didn’t want them to be there.  In audio, everything seems to make a difference.  Unfortunately....
Several people posting within this thread are skeptics.  That’s fine.  What I don’t understand is why someone wouldn’t actually try something to either prove or disprove their expectation.  Dealers are willing to demo.  Most dealers are also willing to let customers try in their own home.  An audition will reveal whether or not a streamer will outperform a laptop and provide a suitable or improved experience.

It’s fair to note that a streamer is a purpose built computer, stripped of all the extraneous devices that don’t serve that function - like video processing, running 3rd party software, etc.  Accordingly, they’re far more stable (don’t need updating every 5 minutes), don’t tend to crash, and don’t introduce the same levels of noise, etc.  

As stated previously - audition one and then state your findings - good or bad.  But those like usery above who state conclusively an opinion without any experience - are just missing out.  

Try one.  If you like it - buy it.  If you don’t - don’t buy it - and then tell us what you found.